Unanswered: Missing Records?

Okay, a bit of an odd issue here. MySQL seems to be removng records on it's own. JK. Anyway, the scenario is I have a user who claims that he has done nothing, but a table record cound went from 900 records to like 30 records. There are some issues here that could have caused this including an insecure application (that allows delete access) or someone evil at my organization who feels like deleting arbitrary records. This is the only DB with a problem. Records just seem to disappear....apparently.

My short question is this. Are there any conditions (e.g. certain corruptions) that could harm data in this db? Obviously, I have my own theories (see above), but I want to be sure that no other circumstances could have caused this.

Wierd question...I know. Thanks for your comments!

Re: Missing Records?

Originally posted by DrSmartman
    Okay, a bit of an odd issue here. MySQL seems to be removng records on it's own. JK. Anyway, the scenario is I have a user who claims that he has done nothing, but a table record cound went from 900 records to like 30 records. There are some issues here that could have caused this including an insecure application (that allows delete access) or someone evil at my organization who feels like deleting arbitrary records. This is the only DB with a problem. Records just seem to disappear....apparently.

My short question is this. Are there any conditions (e.g. certain corruptions) that could harm data in this db? Obviously, I have my own theories (see above), but I want to be sure that no other circumstances could have caused this.

Wierd question...I know. Thanks for your comments!
    "user who claims that he has done nothing" - Never trust to user because the user everythime claims "He has done nothing".
    I don't believe that is the DB problem. I am using MySQL from 3.22.x and similar problem has never happened.

Cool

LOL....yes, exactly. I don't beieve it. Especially when there is an unprotected admin page. Makes one wonder...

....still just curious as to whether it is in the realm of possibilities. My inclination is 'no' and just to resotre them with a backup. However, the powers that be want to make sure something is not wrong with their databases.

thanks

one more thing. the user didn't have command line. i find it difficult to believe they would manually delete 900 records one at a time. maybe someone on the inside is doing something. not sure. perplexed.

Originally posted by DrSmartman
    one more thing. the user didn't have command line. i find it difficult to believe they would manually delete 900 records one at a time. maybe someone on the inside is doing something. not sure. perplexed.
    If the user has remote access allowed, then he don't need the command line. There are plenty of GUIs. GUI and user = big danger.