Unanswered: Using LISTDEF to do online REORG on tables and indexes

Hi Everyone, I have a question concerning using LISTDEF REORG on my tables and indexes.

My database is a 24/7 and I have to use Online REORG on my tables and indexes. Would using LISTDEF REORG do the job? If yes, would someone supply a simple example of what I could use to run an Online reorg using listdef for my tables and indexes. I also would like to do a runstats after the reorg is done, is it possible to run on the same job?

Also, if someone could point me to a good place on the internet that would give me good documentation on listdef and reorg that would be great.

Also, my database is running on DB2 v7.2 on a S/390 and Z/OS.

If you require any further information to answer my question, just let me know.

Thanks.
    Mbourd25

Hi

Here is a little example for an Online Reorg using Listdef and Templates:

TEMPLATE SYSCOPY
    DSN (EPSDBWP1.IC1.&DB..&TS..P0.D&JD.&HO.)
    DISP (NEW,CATLG,DELETE)
    VOLCNT (99) UNIT 3490 STACK YES
    LISTDEF TESTLIST
    INCLUDE TABLESPACE LVDB0300.LVTSS300
    INCLUDE TABLESPACE LVDB0300.LVTSP371
    REORG TABLESPACE LIST TESTLIST
    SHRLEVEL CHANGE
    COPYDDN (SYSCOPY)
    MAPPINGTABLE DB2.SYTB0025
    MAXRO 120 DRAIN ALL LONGLOG TERM DELAY 1200
    TIMEOUT TERM
    STATISTICS TABLE ALL UPDATE ALL

Besides the exact syntax is in DB2 Utlities Guide and Reference (unfortunately I do not have the homepage at hand)

From the example, do I need to use the template syscopy info? The database that I weant to reorg is just a simple database containing multiple tables.

Thanks.
    Mbourd25

What do you mean with "simple" database? Do you mean one tablespace with many tables? If so, then I do not understand, why you want to use LISTDEF at all.

BTW, I do not know, if TEMPLATE is necessary. Check it out.

Yes, my database has one tablespace and 32 tables.

I want to use LISTDEF since I don't want to keep chaging the JCL in the future to add new tables to it. I know by fact that in the next year or so I will be adding 10 more tables. So LISTDEF is a good solution to just put my JCL into the scheduled runs and don't have to change it.

Anyway, the template was necessary and the creatino of the mappingtable was necessary. I just made a couple of changes to the example Walter Janissen gave me and it ran flawlessly.

Thanks for all your help.
    Mbourd25

Hi

One remark to your last reply: The Reorg-utility operates on the tablespace-level, so the number of tables doesn't matter, at least to the syntax of that statement.