Thread: SQL DB file

Unanswered: SQL DB file

I want to transfer my SQL DB to a new server, I think the file that you export is called a CRV file.

My question is, how do I generate this SQL DB file, I don't have access to the server its on (third party hosting web server). Is there any way I can export this file to somewhere on the server using SQL or a scripting language?

Are you trying to steal their stuff?

LOL

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    Are you trying to steal their stuff?

Hahah.

No this is my DB I built it, they just gave me the space on their SQL Server. But, now I don't want to host on a server is Florida, so I am building my own server, but I need the information in the DB in florida so I can import it to my new server...

Detach the files and copy them to your server.

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    Detach the files and copy them to your server.
    Detach what files? And how?

Provided Answers: 54
    Detaching the files requires the assistance of a sysadmin and someone that can read the file from their server to send it to you. That sounds unlikely in this case!

Without knowing what access you've got to the server and files it is hard for me to come up with a solid battle plan. There are too many variables that could drastically influence what is the best choice for you.

If you have SQL Enterprise Manager, you can use it to script out your schema, then use DTS to extract the data to flat files. You can run the script on the new server to rebuild your schema, then reload the tables from the flat files. All of this can be done remotely with nothing more than Enterprise Manager.

If that won't work, you could ask them if they will give you a DUMP of your database so you can mail it to one of us for analysis. Once you have the DUMP file, you can then restore it onto a new server.

There are more ways to skin a cat than there are cats, but that is no reason to stop trying. If none of these ideas pan out, let me know and I'll brainstorm up a few more!

-PatP

I downloaded a program called SQLDump, but its crappy!

I cant connect to the SQL Server, because the server address is longer than the program allows in characters (which baffles me).

Any other programs (besides Enterprise Mang.) that I can DL that can create a DUMP file of an SQL DB?

The server's DNS name might be too long, but the IP address is too long? I think not!

-PatP

ARG

Originally posted by Pat Phelan
    The server's DNS name might be too long, but the IP address is too long? I think not!

-PatP
    I used the IP and it said an "error occured."

I know this SQL Server allows remote connection, cause I do it all teh time with a little program I wrote. I have verified that all the information is correct, UID, PWD, Database Name, AND the Server Name(IP).

Have you ever used SQLDump b4? any ideas of what might be wrong with the connection?

No, I know nothing about the SQLDump utility.

If you have the SQL user tools installed on your machine, check in the Client Network Utility to see what is the default network connection type? It should be TCP/IP.

You might also want to establish an alias for the server while you are in the Client Network Utility.

-PatP