Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unanswered: Losing formating on form when mail merge

I hhave formated a few fields that change that so that it looks different that what it would on the table. When I merge this information with word, all of that formating disappears and I get the value that is on the table. Is there a way to merge the formated data into word without it witching?

Thanks a ton

If you are worried about dates not showing up correctly, you can change them to String using the format command within the query. That should retain the format you selected.

SELECT Vendors.Code, Format([LastUsed],"yyyy/mm/dd") AS Last_Used
    FROM Vendors;

That should work.

I'm not really worried about the date b/c I date stamped the letters in word. What I am worried about is formating a number like 23456 into 23,456 and then having it turn back to 23456 when it gets to word.

I used the date as an example. You can use the Format function to change a number into formatted text as well.

SELECT Vendors.Code, Format([Total],"#,##0") AS VendorTotal
    FROM Vendors;

Do i write that statement in the query or somewhere else. Sorry for needing some hand holding

Just a sec. I can get the number formated correctly when it gets to my from. I just can't get that data to hold its format when I merge. maybe that helps.

Putting the formatiing into the query will change it to text and the formatting should stick.

that is what I thought. I searched the microsoft help center and there was a topic that said any formatting in access does not carry over to word after a mail merge. It said to use some format() function to make the formatting go all the way through. So I'm lost and don't know where to go from here.

Use the format function in the query. For example:

SELECT Vendors.Code, Format([Total],"#,##0") AS VendorTotal
    FROM Vendors;

or if it is currency, then:

SELECT Vendors.Code, Format([Total],"$#,##0.00") AS VendorTotal
    FROM Vendors;

or maybe

SELECT Vendors.Code, Format([Total],"Currency") AS VendorTotal
    FROM Vendors;

if you are not worried about regional settings.

If you are asking where to apply the format statement in the query see the attached query example.
    ...rtk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails example.bmp  

Does it matter that the user puts in the number on the form and the value really doesn't come from a table. It's a manual input into a text box.

Originally posted by tjarvas
    Does it matter that the user puts in the number on the form and the value really doesn't come from a table. It's a manual input into a text box.
    If I am reading correctly, Manual input from text box would be the formatting is in word. Right click on your text box when word is unprotected and go to properties. There you will be able to format the way the information in the text box is viewed.

If I am reading incorrectly please forgive me.

Ture. Once the user types in the value, the form with format it correctly. Ex. user types in 12345 and the text box changes it to 12,345. That is what we want. The problem occurs when I merge that data with word. The formatting of 12345 to 12,345 is lost.

Originally posted by tjarvas
    Ture. Once the user types in the value, the form with format it correctly. Ex. user types in 12345 and the text box changes it to 12,345. That is what we want. The problem occurs when I merge that data with word. The formatting of 12345 to 12,345 is lost.
    Do you have a copy of the Word form (Office 97 Version)?

I am using word 2000. is there a property I need to chage in word?