Unanswered: Paradox table problem

I have a fun and wonderful problem.

I have a standalone Paradox application which I need to support, which seems to be running a 16 bit standalone version. I'm not absolutely sure which version of Paradox is used by this application, but it would probably have been developed in the late 90s.

And, to make matters interesting, the user community which uses the application does not seem to have made current backups of their data.

But, on to the problem.

Somehow, one of the tables became corrupted. I used the Table Repair facility in the BDE and it almost fixed the problem.

It appears that the table has lost its index. When I viewed it using the pdoxtools utility (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdoxtool/) that table did not have any indexes. When I created a new set of tables with the app, it did have indexes.

My question is how can I either add indexes to the table, or move the data to correct table?

I don't have access to a full version of Paradox, but I do have access to Oracle and MS Access.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Re: Paradox table problem

If you were to download a recent version of paradox runtime. And then send the name of the table with the data and the name of the table with the indices then I or someone could provide a simple script which would move the data from one table to the other within the same working alias.

Originally posted by rwj
    I have a fun and wonderful problem.

I have a standalone Paradox application which I need to support, which seems to be running a 16 bit standalone version. I'm not absolutely sure which version of Paradox is used by this application, but it would probably have been developed in the late 90s.

And, to make matters interesting, the user community which uses the application does not seem to have made current backups of their data.

But, on to the problem.

Somehow, one of the tables became corrupted. I used the Table Repair facility in the BDE and it almost fixed the problem.

It appears that the table has lost its index. When I viewed it using the pdoxtools utility (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdoxtool/) that table did not have any indexes. When I created a new set of tables with the app, it did have indexes.

My question is how can I either add indexes to the table, or move the data to correct table?

I don't have access to a full version of Paradox, but I do have access to Oracle and MS Access.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

The best freeware Paradox Repair Tool - AbiDesktop:
    http://www.degisy.com/abidesktop.php?lang=eng

AbiDesktop is a simple and effective tool for administering dBase and Paradox tables. It gives the users quick access to the tables through a convenient file manager that supports aliases.

The major features

- Viewing table contents
    - Packing tables
    - Re-indexing tables
    - Correcting damaged Paradox and dBase tables
    - Picking and setting correct encoding visually
    - Batch table processing
    - BDE parameter alteration
    - Clear, easy to use interface