Thread: Formatted procs

Unanswered: Formatted procs

Can somebody provide me an argument on how nicely formatted and indented procs perform better. I am currently formatting a 1000 line proc just to understand what it does ... Maybe your argument will help convince my development team to write neat procs
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

Re: Formatted procs

Originally posted by Enigma
    Can somebody provide me an argument on how nicely formatted and indented procs perform better. I am currently formatting a 1000 line proc just to understand what it does ... Maybe your argument will help convince my development team to write neat procs

As far as my knowledge goes, indentation and formatting of the proc has nothing got to do with the performance. Its just that, u improve the readability of the code, and believe me it is very much required. I had stumbled upon a stored proc which was not working properly, it was about 1500 lines and the code was so badly written without any comments, that it took hours first to format it, then to understand the whole thing. Properly formatted code performs better in the long run, meaning after six months of coding if u have to debug the proc, it wouldn't be a mess.

Provided Answers: 1
    Can somebody supply me with an argument as to why my kids should help keep the house clean? They claim that it provides just as much shelter with crap strewn all over the place, because it is the roof that counts. I say that when the place is cluttered it makes it harder to find things they have lost and it is more likely that things will get accidentally broken, but they aren't buying this. So I am currently cleaning up a 1000 sqr foot floor in order to make the area a more practical and inviting place to live.

I think I will just tell my development team (oops, I mean kids) that if they don't keep the place clean they will not get their allowance.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    Make the sentence for writing undocumented, poorly formatted code be a stint doing nothing but maintenance??? At least in the shops that I've worked in, that would make them consider suicide as a viable alternative!

-PatP

Provided Answers: 1
    Oh, I like that one!
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Buy a big bat.....

I gotta find that thread where we had a war about this....

don't forget change conmtrol in the comments up front...

does anyone comment out old code and leave it if it's being altered?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

I don't even want to start this one...Naming conventions, coding standards, change control, release management, and the most dreaded one, - documentation...

Provided Answers: 54
    I've got a little Perl script that shrouds T-SQL. It removes all the extraneous whitespace and renames the variables, cursors, and temp tables @v1, @v2, @v3... The thing is a work of pure evil, but you could always ask them to debug a 1500 line stored procedure that you'd passed through the shrouder.

-PatP

Ha ha .. i would love to have that script
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data