Unanswered: Passing a table name to SQL statement as a String

I am revising an old Access 2.0 Application. I have converted it to Access 2000.

I have added code to archive old data from the active tables to archive tables. I want to be able to retrieve the data from the archive tables using existing code from a report form that gives choices on what type of data prints on the reports.

I would like to be able to use the same code and in the SQL statements where the table name is hard coded, use a variable to insert either the current table or the archive table based on a check box on the form that selects the archive data.

I created a string variable and tested for the archive data option to be checked, if it is checked I store the archive_table in the string variable. If it is not checked I store the NMR_table name in the the string variable.

When I get to the SQL statement to select the data, I tried:
    sql_code = "SELECT DISTINCTROW 'stringname.NMR_Index', 'stringname.Part_Print', 'stringname.Date_In',

sql_code = sql_code & "FROM Team_Table RIGHT JOIN 'stringname' ON Team_Table.Team_Number = 'stringname.NMR_Team' "
    sql_code = sql_code & "WHERE (('stringname.NMR_Number' Between [Forms]![NMR_Report_Form]![Num_Box_1] And [Forms]![NMR_Report_Form]![Num_Box_2])"

This will not work. Is there a way to pass a table name to an sql statement so I don't have to repeat all of the code for the archive reports?

Thanks,

SBR

You have a few syntax errors in your code:
    sql_code = "SELECT DISTINCTROW 'stringname.NMR_Index'
    should look something like:
    sql_code = "SELECT DISTINCTROW " & stringname.NMR_Index & ...
    and no comma before the FROM:

stringname.Date_In & " "

sql_code = sql_code & "FROM ...

...rtk

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried using the &'s before and it looked like this:

"SELECT DISTINCTROW ' & strTableName.NMR_Index & ', ' & strTableName.Part_Print & ', ' & strTableName.Date_In & ', ' & strTableName.Date_Due & ', ' & strTableName.Date_Complete & ', ' & strTableName.Defect_Code & ', Team_Table.Team_Name, ' & strTableName.Days_Past_Print & ', ' & strTableName.CA_Assignee & ' "
    sql_code = sql_code & "FROM Team_Table RIGHT JOIN ' & strTableName & ' ON Team_Table.Team_Number = ' & strTableName.NMR_Team & ' "
    sql_code = sql_code & "WHERE ((' & strTableName.NMR_Number & ' Between [Forms]![NMR_Report_Form]![Num_Box_1] And [Forms]![NMR_Report_Form]![Num_Box_2])"

When I execute this code, I get an error message "Joint Expression not supported".

Do you see anything wrong with this code?

Thanks,

SBR

It may be best to break the statement down into basic units. Here's is a simple sample:
    strSQL = "SELECT LAB_TEST_SEQUENCE "
    strSQL = strSQL & "FROM BAPP_LAB_TESTS "
    strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE LAB_TEST_NAME ='" & LabTestName & "'"
    I suggest you recreate your select statement to look something like the above with a Select on one line, table fields follow, a From , joins and where follow. That way it would be easier to debug. The single tick mark "'" is usually reserved for use around text fields (nothing around numbers and # around date values)

Breaking your statement down into smaller units should help because I think your concept should work fine.
    ...rtk

I changed the strTableName variable back to a table name in the SQL statements and they work great. I guess I don't know how to correctly use the variable in an SQL statement. I hope there is a way to do this, I don't want to have to repeat all of the code just for the archive data to print in the reports.

Thanks for your suggestions.

SBR