Unanswered: Database for a Dentist Surgery

im creating a database for a dentist surgery using microsoft access as a college assignment for ict a-level

i need to know what tables are required for this database and the fields within the tables

so far i have a patient table:
    Patient number
    surname
    forename
    street
    town
    county
    post code (zip code)
    Home telephone number
    mobile telephone number
    and a dentist table:
    dentist id
    surname
    forename
    street
    town
    county
    post code
    home telephone number
    mobile telephone number

wat other tables do i need...i know that i need an appointments table but i dnt know wat fields to put in to it
    also how would i link the tables
    please can somebody help me as soon as possible..
    i would be very greatful
    thank you

Re: Database for a Dentist Surgery

Well you'll need an appointments table, fairly obviously. This would include the key of the patient and the key of the dentist, plus the time, date etc. of the appointment. But to be honest, you could take this anywhere. Do you need to incorporate financial data, like patients' fees? What reports do you need? Etc. etc.

The golden rule when building a database is to write a detailed specification. Know what you want, even if you're not sure how to get it. Your spec would be broken down into "entities" - patients, dentists, appointments etc. - which would translate into tables. In terms of planning the data structure, start with working out what you need to get out of the system; this will dictate what you need to include in which tables. It's a huge subject, so good luck!!
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

There will be financial transactions but only if its easy to do in the database.if it aint easy then i aint going to do it
    is that all the tables i need - patient, dentist and appointments????

You tell me!!! It's *not* just a matter of asking which tables you need. What you must do is to draw out on paper a full model of what processes are involved (for example booking appointments, paying bills etc. etc.), how these processes will work, what data you need for these processes, what reporting you need to achieve....only then will you be able to think about tables. You need to model the whole thing in detail before you even switch a computer on.
    Andy Briggs
    Elmhurst Solutions Limited
    Database Development and Consultancy
    http://www.elmhurstsolutions.com

This is the third topic on the same subject of you trying to get people to do your homework for you.

You are cluttering the board!

People have legitimate questions to post.
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.