Unanswered: Automatically create check box from Memo field data

I have a database of conference speakers, and I want to send them an update letter reminding them what information we have received from them and what information we still need. For example, if they have already turned in their course description for their workshop, I would want this report to have a checkbox next to the word Course Description. So far, the only way I can figure out to do this is to actually include the whole course description field, but that is overkill and takes up too much space. Can I create a checkbox on a report that would be checked if the the Description field is not null, and unchecked if the Description field is Null. How do I do this?
    -Julie

Hi Julie,

Im not sure if this is what you want to hear but,

If It was me, I would have 3 seperate tables,

Table1

The speakers (details about them)

Table2

The Courses (details about them - suprise!)

Table3

Speakers and Attendance (an ID key from table1 and an ID key from Table2 and details like date)

If you want to give a few more details I'll try to help, type you some code or something.

Regards

Ken

Re: Automatically create check box from Memo field data

Originally posted by JHerrick79
    I have a database of conference speakers, and I want to send them an update letter reminding them what information we have received from them and what information we still need. For example, if they have already turned in their course description for their workshop, I would want this report to have a checkbox next to the word Course Description. So far, the only way I can figure out to do this is to actually include the whole course description field, but that is overkill and takes up too much space. Can I create a checkbox on a report that would be checked if the the Description field is not null, and unchecked if the Description field is Null. How do I do this?
    -Julie
    Yeah. You can do that. Just put an unbound check box on the report and in the control source put an IIf function such as =IIf(IsNull[Desc]) Or [Desc] = "","False","True").

That should accomplish what I interpret you are trying to do.
    Gregg

DAO, ADO, SQL, Automation and anything else I can pick up.

Re: Automatically create check box from Memo field data

Originally posted by basicmek
    Yeah. You can do that. Just put an unbound check box on the report and in the control source put an IIf function such as =IIf(IsNull[Desc]) Or [Desc] = "","False","True").

That should accomplish what I interpret you are trying to do.
    Thanks very much. I think that's exaclty what I need. I tried it and I made some sort of syntax error. I'm very new to building expressions, so I don't know where all the parentheses and symbols go.

Here's my expression: Do you know what I did wrong?

[tbl_Speaker]![PersonalBio]="", "False","True"

Also, is there any place either in the Help Menus, or on a website that could give me an introductory lesson into expressions?

Thanks,
    Julie

Cool Re: Automatically create check box from Memo field data

Originally posted by JHerrick79
    Thanks very much. I think that's exaclty what I need. I tried it and I made some sort of syntax error. I'm very new to building expressions, so I don't know where all the parentheses and symbols go.

Here's my expression: Do you know what I did wrong?

[tbl_Speaker]![PersonalBio]="", "False","True"

Also, is there any place either in the Help Menus, or on a website that could give me an introductory lesson into expressions?

Thanks,
    Julie
    =IIf([tbl_Speaker]![PersonalBio]="", "False","True")

Try it like that. You need to precede the expression with the "=" sign.

The help files in Access provide some pretty good help. When I want to get help on a particular function, I usually go to a code window and type the expression or function name, highlight it and press "F1".

There are others here that have explored the web for this stuff but I have done so only on occasion.

Here's the help topic for the IIf Function:

IIf Function

Returns one of two parts, depending on the evaluation of an expression.

Syntax

IIf(expr, truepart, falsepart)

The IIf function syntax has these named arguments:

Part Description
    expr Required. Expression you want to evaluate.
    truepart Required. Value or expression returned if expr is True.
    falsepart Required. Value or expression returned if expr is False.

Remarks

IIf always evaluates both truepart and falsepart, even though it returns only one of them. Because of this, you should watch for undesirable side effects. For example, if evaluating falsepart results in a division by zero error, an error occurs even if expr is True.
    Gregg

DAO, ADO, SQL, Automation and anything else I can pick up.