Red face Unanswered: complex query - cursors

Is there a way to compare cursors. Basically, i have cursors with number of records only know at runtime. I would like to compare them and get the common result.
    Basically the cursors are filled by a query. Are cursors the way to go or not. Should i use something else? I need to get some results out of tables and compare them to get the common results.
    Help will be highly appreciated!
    Thanks!

You can do programmatically in pl/sql. if you have a common column that is indexed in both the tables, open two cursors for two tables including the common index column. Now loop through both the cursors together and check for common rows. If you only want the common rows, you can always do the join on the tables and write as one query.

Vijaya

Originally posted by Vijaya K
    You can do programmatically in pl/sql. if you have a common column that is indexed in both the tables, open two cursors for two tables including the common index column. Now loop through both the cursors together and check for common rows. If you only want the common rows, you can always do the join on the tables and write as one query.

Vijaya
    Yes, but make sure to use the same ORDER BY on both cursors . . .
    Oracle - DB2 - MS Access -

Provided Answers: 1

Re: complex query - cursors

Why not build one cursor with a query that compares the 2 sets of data?

Re: complex query - cursors

Originally posted by djdev
    Is there a way to compare cursors. Basically, i have cursors with number of records only know at runtime. I would like to compare them and get the common result.
    Basically the cursors are filled by a query. Are cursors the way to go or not. Should i use something else? I need to get some results out of tables and compare them to get the common results.
    Help will be highly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    If the same columns are extracted in both the cursors then I think you can write a single cursor with both the intersection of both the select statements like
    SELECT .....
    INTERSECT
    SELECT ....

I hope this solves your problem