Unanswered: Empty and NULL values in oracle

Hi,

Was trying to study the NULL and EMPTy values in oracle. The following piece of code confused me. Can you throw some light so as to make my understanding better:

PHP Code:

SQL
    create table a (col1 varchar2(10));

Table created.

SQLinsert into a values ('');

1 row created.

SQLinsert into a values (null);

1 row created.

SQLselect count(*) from a where col1 '';

COUNT(*)
    ----------

SQL
    select count(*) from a where col1 is null;

COUNT(*)
    ----------

SQL
    select decode(col1null'its null','its empty'from a;

DECODE(CO
    ---------
    its null
    its null

SQL
    select decode(col1'' 'its empty' 'its null'from a;

DECODE(CO
    ---------
    its empty
    its empty

SQLselect decode(col1'' 'its empty' null'its null'' nothing'from a;

DECODE(CO
    ---------
    its empty
    its empty

SQL>

SQL
    Oracle can do wonders !

Empty string in Oracle is null. So you cant do comparisons against '' (i.e. = '') , you have to do 'is null'.

Your decodes are just confusing the issue as decode will stop when it hits its first match.

Alan

Ok. Let me post the que explicitly:

1. when the comparison of col is done in where clause, the 2 rows get selected when compared with null and not with ''

2. whereas when comparison is done using decode, both qualify true for '' as well as null values.
    Oracle can do wonders !

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Empty and NULL values in oracle

Yes, this is one of the cases where Oracle doesn't "do wonders" so well (to quote your signature line)! In fact, you could say it is seriously flawed in this regard.

Oracle is unable to distinguish between an empty or zero-length string and a NULL. Internally, they are both represented by a zero representing the string length and nothing else.

Depending on what you do with it, Oracle treats a NULL character string as '' or NULL, as it deems fit:
    • in comparisions like x = '' it treats '' like a NULL, and so the comparison never yields TRUE or FALSE.
    • in concatenations it treats NULL like a zero-length string, so 'ABC'||NULL = 'ABC' not NULL
    • in the LENGTH function it treats '' as NULL, so LENGTH('') returns NULL not 0.

In fact, I think it consistently treats '' as a NULL with the exception of concatenation!

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by cmasharma
    Ok. Let me post the que explicitly:

1. when the comparison of col is done in where clause, the 2 rows get selected when compared with null and not with ''

2. whereas when comparison is done using decode, both qualify true for '' as well as null values.
    In the DECODE, it is matched with whichever comes first '' or NULL, since they are considered to be the same!

Re: Empty and NULL values in oracle

Thanks once again !
    This time with a new signature

Originally posted by andrewst
    Yes, this is one of the cases where Oracle doesn't "do wonders" so well (to quote your signature line)! In fact, you could say it is seriously flawed in this regard.

Oracle is unable to distinguish between an empty or zero-length string and a NULL. Internally, they are both represented by a zero representing the string length and nothing else.

Depending on what you do with it, Oracle treats a NULL character string as '' or NULL, as it deems fit:
    • in comparisions like x = '' it treats '' like a NULL, and so the comparison never yields TRUE or FALSE.
    • in concatenations it treats NULL like a zero-length string, so 'ABC'||NULL = 'ABC' not NULL
    • in the LENGTH function it treats '' as NULL, so LENGTH('') returns NULL not 0.

In fact, I think it consistently treats '' as a NULL with the exception of concatenation!
    Oracle can do wonders !