Unanswered: Placing data and log files seperately

Hi, Gurus, I am running SQL-Server 2000 on SCSIIs with Raid-5. Three disks. I see only one Logical Disk with 3 partitions. Since it's recommended to have Log files seperate to Data files physicially, currently both exist in the D-Drive. How can it be accomplished?

Another question for ur kind suggestion. I have a merge-repl setup. Publisher and distributor at the same machine. One subscriber over the internet. Replication works through VPN rather that FTP. Whenever i apply SNAPSHOT it takes more that 12 hrs to replicate the 2 GB DB. Although VPN is more secured but the tunneling makes the replication rather slow i guess. Will there be a major difference if i open the default port of ftp on the ISA and change the subscriber to get the SNAPSHOT as Anonymous Subsciption. I mean What's better, Security VS Performance. During the SNAPSHOT the Web-users running on the Subscriber wait for the latest data which is very much annoying.

Another question please, I wanna replace the current publisher-DB machine with a new Hardware-Machine. I don't wanna lose Replication and re-running the SNAPSHOT. Is it possible to retain the publication by restoring the Master, Publication and Distributor respectively on the new machine. The new machine will have the same Operating system name and configuration.

Regards!!

Howdy,

Buy another disk for your log if you want to go that way. As you have a RAID 5 array, all disks in the array will besame speed. The benefit of a separate disk for logs is that logs are written sequentially ( so faster ).
    When you have new disk for logs, detach the database from the sevrer, move the log files ( .LDF ) to new log disk, reattach database with logs in the new location.

Security is worth the slow speed.....especially if you get hacked. But, there may be a way to get data onto a secure FTP site.

Restore should be OK. Treat this like a disaster recovery test.

Cheers,

SG.

Another question please, I wanna replace the current publisher-DB machine with a new Hardware-Machine. I don't wanna lose Replication and re-running the SNAPSHOT. Is it possible to retain the publication by restoring the Master, Publication and Distributor respectively on the new machine. The new machine will have the same Operating system name and configuration.

No problem refer to books online for 'Backing Up and Restoring Replication Databases' topic for more details.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    [IMG]http://sqlserver-qa.net/google_bart.gif[/IMG]

Thanx. I'll let u know if i face any problem while doing the restore.

Regards.