Angry Unanswered: Inserting OLE objects in MS Access

I have an asp script that takes a binary file, and converts it to a hexadecimal string (a very long one) and fires an SQL statement that looks like:

INSERT INTO guide (ID, Blob, DocType) values ('3', '0x6100740061003B002000D00', 'application/x-zip-compressed')

(The hexadecimal string is much longer).

It appears to work with small files (250 ish bytes), but the script hangs and seems to stop with larger ones. However even with the small files the data doesn't seem to make it as far as the database, even though the script completes correctly. The database isn't getting any bigger and if I try to view the content of the field where the file should have been uploaded to, Access says :

A problem occurred while Microsoft Access was communicating with the OLE server or ActiveX Control. Close the OLE Server and restart it outside of Microsoft Access. Then try the original operation again in Microsoft Access.

Any ideas anyone? I have been trying to get this to work for days now. In case it is relevent, the file data is sent from a form to this script, and retrieved using plain old asp without using components, which most people seem to use.

This hopefully somewhat related answer (since no one else has answered in the last several days) is more about showing the image once it's in an Access database and is just for reference.

Testing apparently showed that Web page can't show image stored in an Access database (but can from SQL Server).
    Displaying Images that Reside in a Database - 6/1/2000
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/060100-1.shtml

So in other words even if you find a way to get the info into the database, you might not be able to get it back out (with online Web pages).
    Last edited by Bullschmidt; 03-08-04 at 08:50.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips

Red face Is it all just anti-virus?

Thanks, but thats not where my problems lie.

MS reckon that there maybe some problems with antivirus software, and as this server does some mission critical stuff I'm not going to be able to convince anyone to take it off. However I'm not convinced that is where the problem originates, since MS believe this is only with Norton products, and thats not used. I will try running my scripts on my home computer to prove either way some time this week.

Does anyone know of any tutorials on BLOBs specifically dealing with Access? Seen loads on SQL Server, but I'm wondering if I'm missing some settings in Access...

Hmm, would be very handy to get this to work for lots of things.