Unanswered: Security Wizard locked me out of my own dB

Ok, I feel like an idiot. I'm learning access piece by piece. I need user-level security to govern the rights to this project, so I ran the Security Wizard. Now, when I attempt to open the project, it tells me that I don't have the necessary permissions and that I should get an Admin or the creator of the object to give me permission .... but I AM THE CREATOR.

What gives? Can you give a fella a little love over here?
    Thanks in advance or hope this helps.

Re: Security Wizard locked me out of my own dB

Originally posted by reoterq
    Ok, I feel like an idiot. I'm learning access piece by piece. I need user-level security to govern the rights to this project, so I ran the Security Wizard. Now, when I attempt to open the project, it tells me that I don't have the necessary permissions and that I should get an Admin or the creator of the object to give me permission .... but I AM THE CREATOR.

What gives? Can you give a fella a little love over here?
    Take that security wizard out back and beat it's A** ... Try this: OPen a new database and inport all your objects over and start anew ...

That will not work ... I open a blank dB, go to file, get external data, import, then click on the dB that Security Wizard screwed up ... then I get ridiculed once again --> "Ha, Ha, you don't have permissions"!

That will not work ... I open a blank dB, go to file, get external data, import, then click on the dB that Security Wizard screwed up ... then I get ridiculed once again --> "Ha, Ha, you don't have permissions"!
    Ok ... Try logging in as Admin (if prompted) and then pull up the Users and Permissions and reset the permissions for everything ...

That's just it. I'm not being prompted ... I click on the dB and it immediately tells me that its just not going to let me in.

Since my first post I have found a way to get my work back, but still need to set up security. Here's how I got my work back for anyone with this problem in the future .... when you run the Security Wizard, it saves a copy with the extension ".bak" in the same folder as the new secure one. Simply change the extension back to a ".mdb" (you will have to alter the filename as well since the new, screwed up dB has the same name) and click on it. TAH-DAH!

Now that I'm gunshy on the whole security thing, does anyone have any suggestions and/or coaching for me for setting up user-level security?

That's just it. I'm not being prompted ... I click on the dB and it immediately tells me that its just not going to let me in.

Since my first post I have found a way to get my work back, but still need to set up security. Here's how I got my work back for anyone with this problem in the future .... when you run the Security Wizard, it saves a copy with the extension ".bak" in the same folder as the new secure one. Simply change the extension back to a ".mdb" (you will have to alter the filename as well since the new, screwed up dB has the same name) and click on it. TAH-DAH!

Now that I'm gunshy on the whole security thing, does anyone have any suggestions and/or coaching for me for setting up user-level security?
    Whenever you create the security using security wizard, you need to open in a different way.

Create a shortcut key for that database and

Add below information for target in the short cut propertie:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" Path of the database /WRKGRP path of the .mdw file.

For example: if my database name is dbname.mdb and its located in c:\temp

Then my target should be:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\temp\dbname.mdb" /WRKGRP " C:\temp\dbname.mdw"

Hope this helps.

When I open the Security Wizard, one of the notes on the first page states that in order to modify my current workgroup information file I must have administrator permissions. There are 2 radio buttons, one for create new workgroup information file, and one for modifying the current one. The one for modifying the current one is greyed out (unavailable), so I don't have administrator rights. Why? I created it!

Signed - I'm so confused.

When I open the Security Wizard, one of the notes on the first page states that in order to modify my current workgroup information file I must have administrator permissions. There are 2 radio buttons, one for create new workgroup information file, and one for modifying the current one. The one for modifying the current one is greyed out (unavailable), so I don't have administrator rights. Why? I created it!

Signed - I'm so confused.
    It looks like you haven't added yourself to the Admin group while creating the security or you haven't loged on to the database using your login id and password...

do you have any file with the file type as Snapshot in our db folder?

Sure. In <B>Groups:<B>

Name: Admins
    Group ID: <Previously Created>
    Users: p134983 <-------------------my User ID

I'm not able to login as any particular user because it doesn't prompt me to. I've seen instructions in the help file regarding transferring database ownership refer to opening a database with a Secure Workgroup with the intended new owner as a member, but it gives no info on how to login like that.

Thanks again.

Sure. In <B>Groups:<B>

Name: Admins
    Group ID: <Previously Created>
    Users: p134983 <-------------------my User ID

I'm not able to login as any particular user because it doesn't prompt me to. I've seen instructions in the help file regarding transferring database ownership refer to opening a database with a Secure Workgroup with the intended new owner as a member, but it gives no info on how to login like that.

Thanks again.
    Hi there,

I think you haven’t created the shortcut for your db as I had told you earlier. If you have created than you should have got a prompt for entering the user id and password.

Here are the instructions again:-

Assume that the Access database is called dbNew.mdb and the mdw file is called secure.mdw. Both these files resided in a directly called c:\Murali

Then create a short cut to open the database, Note that when you need to type the location of the item enters

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.exe" "C:\Murali\dbNew.mdb" /WRKGRP "C:\Murali\secure.mdw".

Hope this helps... By doing this you should be able to get the login prompt.

Solved. The shortcut never worked because there are just so many characters available in the target text box, and my dB was buried deep below many folders, which made the path too long for the target.

New Problem. After going through every individual's permissions and setting what they can and can't do, then logging in as one of them to test it, they can still do it all. Why?

Thanks in advance.

SD