Unanswered: Compile Error: ByRef arg type mismatch

I'm getting a compile error that I don't understand: "ByRef argument type mismatch." Below are some code excerpts, translated as "customers and orders" to protect the innocent

This is in the module of a data input form (gathers order and customer info) where I use a function to add a row to the customers table, which returns the index value of the new record (CustomerId as Long).

This value is then passed to a sub that adds a row to the orders table, including a copy of the CustomerId passed as an argument.
    Code:
    Function AddCustomer(Rec As DAO.Recordset) As Long
       With Rec
          .AddNew
          < statements to populate the recordset > 	
          .Update 
          .Bookmark = .LastModified
          AddCustomer = ![CustomerId]   'Return the index value
          .Close
        End With
    End Function

Sub AddOrder(Rec As DAO.Recordset, Id As Long)
       With Rec
          .AddNew
          ![CopyOfCustomerId] = Id
         < ...etc... >
    End Sub

Sub MyOuterProcedure
        Dim Rs As DAO.Recordset
        Dim TempCustId as Long
        Set Rs = dbMyapp.OpenRecordset("tblCustomers")
        TempCustId = AddCustomer(Rs)
        Set Rs = dbMyapp.OpenRecordset("tblOrders")
    -->AddOrder Rs, TempCustID
     Compile Error: "ByRef argument type mismatch"
    The error occurs in the next to last line, show by the arrow. If I delete the line it compiles & runs fine to that point.

Is there an error in this code, or should I be looking elsewhere for the bug?
    Last edited by AJS; 03-05-04 at 04:04.

Just for the heck of it try puting the DoEvents statement directly after the TempCustId = AddCustomer(Rs).

See it that works...

Still doesn't compile.

I forgot to mention, in the original question, that TempCustomerId is the highlighted argument when the compiler stops on the "ByRef argument type mismatch" error.

Well...there you go..I suppose VBA will not allow you to pass a RecordSet as a parameter. Set and Open your RecordSets directly within your Function and Sub procedures. It make things a little clearer anyways.

Follow-up: I found the bug, and I'm embarrassed to say it was a trivial error in a Dim statement. I had written something like:
    Code:
    Dim TempCustId, TempItemId as Long
    when it should have read:
    Code:
    Dim TempCustId as Long, TempItemId as Long
    I think this comes from having used more Pascal than Basic. I didn't find the error until now because it has correct syntax, but I guess TempCustId was just getting the default type (Variant?) instead of the intended Long integer. Hence the "type mismatch."

Meanwhile, after CyberLynx' 2nd post, but before I found the bug, I rewrote the code with recordsets local to their procedures. So the question of whether recordsets can be passed as arguments remains open.

--Andy
    Last edited by AJS; 03-09-04 at 09:50.