Question Unanswered: SQl error 126 Win XP Pro

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times - we are setting up a new db from a 3rd party for inventory tracking and utilizing Excel to perform queries on the db. On only 1 ws I received the following error: Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126 (SQL Server). This error occured when trying to do a db query from within Excel (Office 2000). I have reloaded the ODBC option several times, along with reloading the connectivity tools from SQL and Service Pack 3a. I understand that this error can be associated with not being able to locate the correct DLLs. Specifically, what DLLs, which version or date/time stamp and where are these located? Again, this has only happened on one workstation (and, of course, it is the President's.. :-( ). The OS is patched to date with latest hotfixes and SP.

Any ideas? Greatly appreciate your information and help/direction....

TIA

Check the Drivers tab in DataSources applet. It shows versions and filenames for every driver. Compare it with working worstations.

Talking

Originally posted by rdjabarov
    Check the Drivers tab in DataSources applet. It shows versions and filenames for every driver. Compare it with working worstations.
    Thanks for the info - I was able to find from the DataSources applet that the SQL driver was unmarked and had no version associated with it. From there, I compared file dates and sizes. Identical across the board. Then I perused the Registry and found that the misbehaving box had the \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\SQL Server values Driver & Setup pointing to the \%WINNT%\system directory, not the \%WINNT%\system32 directory where the driver actually resides. Once I hacked the keys, it opens the data Source without a problem!

Thanks again for the insight - there's just too much to know for one person...