Unanswered: Import Spreadsheet problem

I have a spreadsheet that I am trying to import into an Access 2000 table. One of the columns in the spreadsheet is called 'House Number'. Here are some examples of the contents:

22A
    1B
    13A/4

Now, no matter how I approach the import process, Access always creates a Type Conversion Failure with the '13A/4'. I have tried importing into an existing table where the 'House Number' field is a Memo type, but no joy. I have tried creating the table at the point of importing, but still no luck. Anyone know a way round this?

Have you tried saving the Excel sheet as a text file, then importing that?
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Yes, I tried saving as a comma delimited csv file, but got the same error.

try saving as a csv file with " " text qualifiers..

How do I do that in Excel?

If there are only a couple of instances, you can put an apostrophe (') before the 13A/4. In the cell it will look like '13A/4, but when you are done editting the cell it will only show 13A/4.

The ' forces Excel to ignore the contents not try to interpret them. When you import it into Access, Access will ignore them. I got a spreadsheet of data and the data in each field was preceded by the ' and it worked perfectly.

If I go through the import process manually (File > Import) I can get all the data in OK (by placing a ' in front of the HouseNumbers in the Excel sheet first then specifying that the ' char is a text qualifier). However, I need to automate this process using a macro or code. Any ideas how I can do this? There doesn't seen to be a qualifier option when making a TransferText macro.

You shouldn't have to tell Access that it is a text qualifier. As far as automating goes. During the Import process (manual) there is an Advanced button that will allow you to setup the delimiters and qualifiers and then save it. It's call a File Specification, it tells Access how to interpret the file. Setup the specification and then save it. For the TransferText you can tell it which specification to use.