Unanswered: Automatic saving of data in MS-Access

I created a form using form wizard and assoicated the form with a table. Then I created a save button in the form which will save the data into the table.

Problem I have is, I would like to avoid automatic saving of data in form unless Save command button is pressed. For this, in the Form Unload event, I am checking if form is Dirtry (Me.Dirty) if so I am trying to undo the action. Me.Undo which is not working. I also tried:

DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, acUndo, , acMenuVer70

I want all the changes that are made to database without pressing save button to be lost.

Can anybody suggest the solution. I would greatly appreciate that.

- Rama

I am in particular looking at the event that fires just before automatic saving of data.

Form unload event is not the one as data is already saved before unloading. Close is not the one.

If I can find the Event then I can either undo the save or Make Me.Dirty as false.

Looking forward to the reply.

Thanks in advance.

There are two ways of doing this.

First, is you can make the controls unbound and write the data into the db by using vb code under the button onclick event.

Second, you can try to play with events, and what you're looking for is beforeinsert event (for new records only) or beforeupdate event (for both current and new records). Sequence was something like <beforeinsert> beforeupdate current afterupdate <afterinsert> where events in <> occur only for new records, accordingly.

Then, you could set the button to change some variable, like, for example

dim CanUpdate as boolean

which is false by default, and then in the beforeupdate check

if not varCanUpdate then docmd.cancelevent

There might be better ways to do this, but this should work.
    Replies based on my configuration: Windows XP / Microsoft Office Access 2003 unless specified otherwise.

Thanx Virgo_Libra. Actually I already tried that.

The first choice is ruled out for me, as I am modifying already existing database which has huge set of forms and tables. I cannot afford to change those settings by designing new forms.

Second choice did not work actually. I tried both before and after updates and inserts. When I tried to undo before insert/update, if saving is not through command button, it is ignoring the undo. Same is the case with After insert/update.

I suspect MS-Access is using a buffer and writing its contents to the buffer and then worry about After/Before Inserts/Updates. When I Undo the data it is not undoing the things it has written to buffer. I am not sure this is the reason why it didn't work. If anybody can shed some more light on this.

So I am back at the same question, are there any alternative solutions. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Once again thanks Virgo

Attention please

Seems that you've overlooked the docmd.cancelevent that I was suggesting to use. Try this: I have a form with two buttons, btnOK and btnCancel, and the following code for the form:

Dim varCanSave as Boolean

Private Sub btnCancel_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_btnCancel_Click

If Me.Dirty Then DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, acUndo, , acMenuVer70
    DoCmd.Close

Exit_btnCancel_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_btnCancel_Click:
    ErrorBox Err.Description, "Form control Event/Function", "frmAccount.btnCancel_Click", Err.Description
    Resume Exit_btnCancel_Click

End Sub

Private Sub btnOK_Click()
    On Error GoTo Err_btnOK_Click

If Me.Dirty Then
    varCanSave = True
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70
    End If

DoCmd.Close
    Forms!frmCustomer!sfrmList.Form.Requery

Exit_btnOK_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_btnOK_Click:
    ErrorBox Err.Description, "Form control Event/Function", "frmAccount.btnOK_Click", Err.Description
    Resume Exit_btnOK_Click

End Sub

Private Sub Form_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)

If Not varCanSave Then
    DoCmd.CancelEvent
    MsgBox "Cannot save record!"
    End If

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Current()

varCanSave = False

End Sub
    With this, if I try to use anything other than the OK button -- i.e. Shift+Enter, "Save record" from the menu, closing the form -- it will give out a message "Cannot save record!" and not write anything into the table, since I am cancelling the Update event. And, clicking the Cancel button just undoes the changes that I've made.
    Replies based on my configuration: Windows XP / Microsoft Office Access 2003 unless specified otherwise.

Thanx Virgo-Libra. I havn't tried that. I will try that now. Thanx once again.

Changes

I actaually came across this same type of problem. I am working with a DB where any change to any field is logged into an event log for the DB. I couldn't make the logevent fire on the after update event because if the value changed from x to y then from y to x it would create some redundancy in the information logged.

Luckily this was during the development stage and am using RSs and Ctl values to make the event logging easier.

My question is that if this is a pre-existing form, why don't you just turn it into a unbound form and manually feed the RS information into the form. if any other forms reference this form as long at the Ctl names don't change it shouldn't have any problems.

Re: Changes

If you are using DAO and recordsets why don't you call Recordset.CancelUpdate before closing the form? Also there is a DAO Data control that does that located here:

http://www.scirocco.ca/downloads.html
    In abundance of water only the fool is thirsty. Bob Marley.