Thread: is it worth it?

Question Unanswered: is it worth it?

i am a truck driver, just in case you hadn't figured that out, and i have been out of programming many years. is it worth getting back into it again after this long? when i first started they had 20kb hard disks, and they were big. this gives you an idea how long it has been. i used to program in c, old basic, plus also done some time in clipper applications. should i just continue driving or is there a market for programmers out there?

Thanks.

Smile

There is my opinion - Programing means way of thinking, logical & mathematical thinking+experience, everybody can gain experience but not everyone can learn thinking that way. So if I look for a programmer, I don't ask him how many languages he knowns, I just give hive some tasks to solve them in any language he knows, I can learn a new language in 1-3 weeks, but programing isn't only language.

your decision is up to you.
    MDB, ADP <-> MS SQL + VBA, ADO & RDO, .NET, Oracle, Java/Jsp.

Provided Answers: 54
    I know of a couple of LH companies that would KILL for someone with both "over the road" and "small systems" experience. It is hard to get somebody that doesn't have a clue what a driver does to really understand their needs. It is even tougher to get somebody with the "glass palace" mentality to understand the limitations of a box that a driver can carry to a loading boss to show or get information.

Ask around just a bit, I'm pretty sure that you can find someone that would be fascinated to talk to you!

-PatP

I share the same view as you do. Let's take a example in my organization, we have industry attachment students come every year. When I asked them to solve some complicated issues, they always tell me that there isn't any API support such operation.

The bottom line is, if the API does exists why do I need them here?!?!

Originally posted by Pat Phelan
    I know of a couple of LH companies that would KILL for someone with both "over the road" and "small systems" experience. It is hard to get somebody that doesn't have a clue what a driver does to really understand their needs. It is even tougher to get somebody with the "glass palace" mentality to understand the limitations of a box that a driver can carry to a loading boss to show or get information.

Ask around just a bit, I'm pretty sure that you can find someone that would be fascinated to talk to you!

-PatP