Unanswered: Using 1 MDB for multiple websites

Hi,

I put an mdb file on my customers website and wrote the asp pages so that he or I could modify his class schedule for his web pages etc...

He has an SSL site as well that he takes registrations for his class on and it is on a different domain, different hosting company, etc...

Is it possible for me to access the database from the main website from the SSL website?

Thanks

As it is an MDB I would say it is highly unlikely.... if it was a SQL db then I would say it weas more likely.

How are you mapping to your mdb file? using a dsn? using map path? or using some other method?

Thank you for your response.

I am using a Map path, but I am open to any other method. I may have to set up a simple ftp program from the customer so he can make his changes and then upload the database.

Thanks,
    Keith

Well using map path won't help you with this one.... I mean how can you map to a db on a seperate network,....

I'm not sure what methods you can use to connect to access these days, it's been ages since I used it.... perhaps someone else can help more... basically you'd need to be able to use some sort of connection string so you can specify the server you wanted to target...

Having said all this, you could get funky and set up some pages that take db requests and process them for you on the main server that holds the db....

Thanks for your help.

I'll do some more research and if I find something great I'll post it here.

Thanks,
    Keith

Re: Using 1 MDB for multiple websites

Another approach....

I've done this... it's not "direct" access... but it works just fine.

On the remote website, create an asp page that uses Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP to send an HTTP post to the server with the database.. accessing the specific script on that server for the data you need.

On the server with the db, you must write the database access scripts you'll need... That uses an Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP server object to send the data it gets to your remote website.

Your remote website requests the data by accessing the asp page you've created on the database server... that script gets the data for you, and sends it back to your page.

This same basic scheme is used by payment processing companies like paypal.

Tim
    Tim