Question Unanswered: numbers to symbols help

Hello all,

My question is a basic one - yet I am stumped as to how to accomplish it! I am trying to generate a report in MS Access 2002 with the following
    basics:

a text field followed by 3 numerical values. That part is easy, but here is where I am getting stumped. The numerical values range from 1 to 7. What I would like to display is a number line from 1 to 7, with a symbol for each of the numerical values displayed at that point on the number line... i.e.

1----2----3----4----5----6----7

text1 -----X-------O-----{}----------

text2 -----------------{}X------O----

(and so on down the page, with differing text and numerical values).

I would greatly appreciate any advice, suggestions or reference texts that you think might help!!

mike

describe your task more carefuly,
    describe your table's structure and table's rows samle and then resultset you want to get as sample
    MDB, ADP <-> MS SQL + VBA, ADO & RDO, .NET, Oracle, Java/Jsp.

Mike,

Although your question may be rather basic....understanding exactly what you want to accomplish is not. There doesn't seem to be any consistancy within your samples. Perhaps if you explained things with just a little more detail and perhaps, the reason to why you want to do what it is you want to do (if that makes any sense )

Originally posted by CyberLynx
    Mike,

Although your question may be rather basic....understanding exactly what you want to accomplish is not. There doesn't seem to be any consistancy within your samples. Perhaps if you explained things with just a little more detail and perhaps, the reason to why you want to do what it is you want to do (if that makes any sense )

I will give it a shot! I am designing a report to provide feedback to leaders within an organization based on their own perceptions of how well they are at a specific competency, in addition to their supervisor's and subordinates' ratings.

The data are collected through a different means (hard copy, then scanned response as well as online) and are distributed in three linked tables (self-report, subordiante report and supervisor report). These tables are fairly simplistic, each containg the fields : ID (linking variable), and then numerical values as responses for 1 through 72 individual statements which collectively construct 27 competencies.

I am using three tables because in while each leader is a unique data point, there are multiple subordinate and sometimes more than one supervisor report.

The intent of the access report is to provide usable feedback to to target leader in an easy to understand and intuitive format. Thus for example, one of the competencies leaders are assed on is communication. The leader may report themselves as 4.5 (on the noted scale of 1 to 7) the supervisor rates them as a 5 and the mean subordinate rating is a 3.2.

what I would like to have on a single line in the report is a description of the competency (can hard code it if need be) followed by a number line that shows the relative position of the three rated values (in the example, 3.2, 4.5 and 5) with each data source (self, subordainte, supervisor) as a different symbol. Research shows that this form of comparative visual is very useful in leader feedback.

thanks for your willingness to help!!!

mike

I don't see tables structure, I don't see any sample data and any sample output. The main thing before strating database enginering is to learn describing and writing down database tasks is the simplest way.
    MDB, ADP <-> MS SQL + VBA, ADO & RDO, .NET, Oracle, Java/Jsp.