Question Unanswered: Return Receipt of Mail

Hi,

I am using CDONTS for sending mails from my website, I want to know wheather mail is being opened by user or not, if opened then i want to know his IP,date and time of mail opened,his geographic location.

I want all this information will be saved to DB when user open the mail or will be emaild to me when user open the mail.

I hope some one really hlp me in thisb regards

Pankaj Sutradhar

Re: Return Receipt of Mail

Sounds to me like you're sending a lot of emails to people you don't know. Are we Spamming perhaps?

With the new CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 going into effect 1/1/2004... I STRONGLY suggest against spamming activities if this is what you're up to. Penalties are severe.

One way to do what you want is to embed script into the email. BUT... doing this will most likely make your email a high point target for Spam Filters. This means far fewer of your emails will make it to your recipients. Also... programs such as Norton Anti-virus will prevent your email scripts from running anyway.

Another way is to embed an image tag, using an ASP file on your sever as the image "SRC". This again has the same drawbacks... to a lesser degree.

Tim
    Tim

Originally posted by sanver
    Hi,

I am using CDONTS for sending mails from my website, I want to know wheather mail is being opened by user or not, if opened then i want to know his IP,date and time of mail opened,his geographic location.

I want all this information will be saved to DB when user open the mail or will be emaild to me when user open the mail.

I hope some one really hlp me in thisb regards

Pankaj Sutradhar

I think I found some code that will help you:

------>> 'This line here sets the Read receipt, you must enter and email address
    objCDO.Value("Disposition-Notification-To") = "someone@receiptto.com" <<-----

Hope this helps. I tried it an it worked grerat..

breeze76
    Last edited by breeze76; 04-17-04 at 23:01.

Originally posted by breeze76
    I think I found some code that will help you:

------>> 'This line here sets the Read receipt, you must enter and email address
    objCDO.Value("Disposition-Notification-To") = "someone@receiptto.com" <<-----

Hope this helps. I tried it an it worked grerat..

breeze76
    OK... Something else... the code above will give you the popup return receipt form but you never get the return receipt back in email.. any suggestions?

breeze76