Unanswered: Open cursor exceeded exception

Database Version:Oracle 8.1.7
    open_cursors : 300

I get "Open cursor exceeded" exception in my application.On querying the table "v$open_cursor", i found that the following query may have been the cause of exception:

SELECT NULL AS table_cat, o.owner AS table_schem

This query is not executed by my application.I guess it must be the JDBC? Does anyone have any idea what this query means, when it is executed and possible solutions for the same?

Thanks,
    charoo

down on the cube farm, left then right then another left

Re: Open cursor exceeded exception

Originally posted by charoo

I get "Open cursor exceeded" exception in my application.On querying the table "v$open_cursor", i found that the following query may have been the cause of exception:

This query is not executed by my application.I guess it must be the JDBC? Does anyone have any idea what this query means, when it is executed and possible solutions for the same?

Thanks,
    charoo
    Forget about the query. The query itself is not the problem. Why do you have 300 open cursors? That is the problem. Remember to close your cursors when you are through with them. Also, realize that every select you submit creates an implicit cursor (which should be closed automatically when the select completes), that is why the problem appears to be your select. That happens to be the select that trips the threshold.

HTH
    NOTE: Please disregard the label "Senior Member".

Re: Open cursor exceeded exception

Originally posted by charoo

Thanks,
    charoo
    This is in incontinuation with my earlier mail.I got the entire query which causes the open cursor exception.It is as follows:

SELECT NULL AS table_cat,o.owner AS table_schem,o.object_name AS table_name,o.object_type AS table_type,NULL AS table_remarks FROM all_objects o WHERE o.owner LIKE :1 ESCAPE '/'AND o.object_name LIKE :2 ESCAPE '/'AND o.object_type IN ('TABLE', 'SYNONYM', 'VIEW')ORDER BY table_type, table_schem, table_name

The above query is not executed by my application.Does the JDBC execute this?Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Charoo