Angry Unanswered: ByRef error confusion - VBA

I am self taught in Access and VBA so maybe I missed something that is obvious to someone else. I am completely stumped. Here is the situation:

I have a custom function with one argument, an integer.....

Public Function test1(a As Integer) As Integer
    test1 = a + 1
    End Function

From a different module, I try to call the function......

Private Sub Command15_Click()
    Dim t1, t2 As Integer
    t1 = 3
    t2 = test1(t1)
    Me!Text1 = t1
    Me!Text2 = t2
    End Sub

When I compile the code, I get "Compile error: ByRef argument type mismatch" and it highlights the "t1" in the line "t2=test1(t1)". I do not understand why I am getting this error. I am passing an integer and the argument is declared as an integer in my function "test1". I ALSO WANT TO KNOW WHY THE FOLLOWING CHANGES ELIMINATE THE ERROR!?!?!?!?!?:

If I force evaluation of t1 by putting an extra set of parenthesis around it, there is no error....

t2=test1((t1)) '---> NO ERROR

Also, if I declare t1 separately there is no error....

Dim t1 As Integer
    Dim t2 As Integer '-----> NO ERROR

IN THE END I WAS ABLE TO COMPILE THE CODE BY DECLARING t1 AND t2 SEPARATELY (as above) BUT IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY BECAUSE I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS BETWEEN

"Dim t1, t2 As Integer"
    AND
    "Dim t1 As Integer
    Dim t2 As Integer"

OR WHY THIS ELIMINATED THE ByRef ERROR I WAS GETTING!! SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN BEFORE I THROW MY PC THROUGH A WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking Nevermind

Apparently "Dim t1, t2 as Integer" declares only t2 as an integer and leaves t1 Variant. I think declaring variables like this (a list followed by a type for all in the list) worked in Pascal which is probably where I picked it up. In any case, confusion alleviated so nevermind. I needed to code "Dim t1 as Integer, t2 as Integer"

Re: ByRef error confusion - VBA

Originally posted by michael515
    I am self taught in Access and VBA so maybe I missed something that is obvious to someone else. I am completely stumped. Here is the situation:

I have a custom function with one argument, an integer.....

Public Function test1(a As Integer) As Integer
    test1 = a + 1
    End Function

From a different module, I try to call the function......

Private Sub Command15_Click()
    Dim t1, t2 As Integer
    t1 = 3
    t2 = test1(t1)
    Me!Text1 = t1
    Me!Text2 = t2
    End Sub

When I compile the code, I get "Compile error: ByRef argument type mismatch" and it highlights the "t1" in the line "t2=test1(t1)". I do not understand why I am getting this error. I am passing an integer and the argument is declared as an integer in my function "test1". I ALSO WANT TO KNOW WHY THE FOLLOWING CHANGES ELIMINATE THE ERROR!?!?!?!?!?:

If I force evaluation of t1 by putting an extra set of parenthesis around it, there is no error....

t2=test1((t1)) '---> NO ERROR

Also, if I declare t1 separately there is no error....

Dim t1 As Integer
    Dim t2 As Integer '-----> NO ERROR

IN THE END I WAS ABLE TO COMPILE THE CODE BY DECLARING t1 AND t2 SEPARATELY (as above) BUT IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY BECAUSE I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS BETWEEN

"Dim t1, t2 As Integer"
    AND
    "Dim t1 As Integer
    Dim t2 As Integer"

OR WHY THIS ELIMINATED THE ByRef ERROR I WAS GETTING!! SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN BEFORE I THROW MY PC THROUGH A WINDOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Look at your dim statement CAREFULLY. Types are not inherited so, t1 is of type VARIANT ... There is your type mismatch.

For those of us who may need further clarification (I had to read the code twice and M Owen's note thrice), michael515's Dim statement:

Dim t1, t2 as integer is not the same as
    Dim t1 as integer
    Dim t2 as integer

it is equivalent to:
    Dim t1 as variant (the default undeclared type)
    Dim t2 as integer

The variant is then passed to a function expecting an integer.

a different Dim statement that would have worked is:
    Dim t1 as integer, t2 as integer.

M Owen: Don't mean to supplant your answer, if you can forgive me, please send $1 to Sorry Dude @ 743 Evergreen Terrace ...
    All code ADO/ADOX unless otherwise specified.
    Mike.

Originally posted by HomerBoo
    For those of us who may need further clarification (I had to read the code twice and M Owen's note thrice), michael515's Dim statement:

Dim t1, t2 as integer is not the same as
    Dim t1 as integer
    Dim t2 as integer

it is equivalent to:
    Dim t1 as variant (the default undeclared type)
    Dim t2 as integer

The variant is then passed to a function expecting an integer.

a different Dim statement that would have worked is:
    Dim t1 as integer, t2 as integer.
    Homer,

This bit me in the butt a few times when I was just switching over from C to VB (and subsequently VBA) ... It does get to be a pain sometimes when you have to explicitly type each and every variable (especially those passed as parameters) ...

- Mike