Red face Unanswered: cant see listeners althoug i congued them

hi
    im new to SQL as a whole and Oracle as well.
    i installed oracle 9i,and tried building a DB,but i think i need a DB server.
    i configured a listener (according to the advice you gave here) and still i cant see it.
    am i supposed to see it in the Services list of windows?
    when i try to go into a DB i supposedly created,i am prompted for the user name and password (which i do not know !!) and when i fill in something, i get ORA 12541 - no listener.
    what can i do now??
    please help... i need this for school work...
    yair

Hi friend,
    I think u need to go trough a book before creating Db.

have u installed the server edition of Oracle 9i then that gives u an option of creating a default database.
    Under services option u must see to two
    1. Oracle Service<sid>
    2. OracleTNSlistener

If not present create them for 1 use oradim utility.
    2. From Net8 assistant Dialog

Look for any default database which u have created unknowingly.
    If u have not changed any default password.
    then log into the sqlplus as sys as sysdba with password as change_on_install.

A book will always be very helpful in this regard.
    Because a lot things u need to consider before creating a DB manually.

Kaushik

Hi,

It certainly sounds like you haven't actually installed the 9i database, maybe you have installed the Application Server or Forms or something?

The installation guide which comes with 9i DB s quite thorough. While I agree with Kaushik generally about books, I have to disagree when it comes to installing it.

If you needed to buy a book to install it, Oracle would be doing something seriously wrong :-)

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.

Hi Billm,
    I asked him to go through a book for creating DB manually.
    Not for installation. As I expected him to install the s/w atleast.
    We all very well know that installation guide comes with the oracle s/w.

So please understand that books are good for DBA activities which does not come in installation guides.
    Installation comes well in with the s/w.

Kaushik

Angry now i cant uninstall...

i just found out in school that i DONT need the 9i version but the 8i!.
    i tried uninstalling from the install wizard,but the un-installation got stuck,so i pressed cancel and OK (implying i AM trying to stop the uninstall process).
    now,i see that the extra tab in my Programs bar disappeard along with the Install wizard,but the ORA bar stayed!!
    i looked for it in the uninstall menu of windows,but didnt find it.
    how can i uninstall it now???
    please... help me!!!

If this is a school project, shouldn't they be giving you some better
    guidelines than ... install an Oracle database ???

Hi,

Do you have any services listed for Oracle? If not, delete the c:\oracle directory, the c:\program files\oracle directory and also clean your registry of any keys or values which are Oracle related (Oracle is infamous for leaving values in the registry after an uninstall which can screw up a subsequent install).

If you're stuck, do a google for 'Oracle uninstall' - there is plenty of material.

Once you've done that, then start the 8i installation. I'm guessing you will hit the P4/symcjit problem, so also do a google for 'SYMCJIT ORACLE' before trying to install 8i.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.