Question Unanswered: Priority of Databases

Hi,

Is it possible to change/set the priority of databases? (Win2K, SQL 2K)

We have an evnironment which is somewhat lacking in resource, and would like to place the priority of one of the databases lower than the other so that the processing on the main database is carried out before the secondary one.

If there isn't any way to do this for the database level - is it possible for a specific user?

Hopefully I havnt been too vague here - but if there is any more info I should be passing on let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Sideways see's more scenery

Provided Answers: 54
    Yes, there are a lot of configuration options that you can set. I've seen six cases (out of several thousand) where people could tune the system for better performance than the automatic tuning could achieve. All of those cases were boxes with 8 Gb of RAM and 8 or more processors.

The short answer is that there are lots of lights and switches, but I don't think you should play with them!

-PatP

Thumbs up

hehehe thanks for the prompt response - that is pretty much what I was thinking....and I will take your comments to heart and leave well enough alone

Cheers!
    Sideways see's more scenery

There are no options that will explicity set relative priority of databases. One way would be to use DBCC PINTABLE on some or all of its tables, but that is crude and chancy. One could also increase the relative performance of a database by optimizing its disk I/O relative to the other databases if you have many disks on separate arrays and put the prioritized database's filegroups on dedicated arrays with many disks. This should also increase its share of processor cycles as there will be less waiting for disk I/O. I suppose one could also play with asymmetrically allocating memory among instances, with the prioritized database on its own instance.