Unanswered: Access Function Help

Hi All:
    I have two tables table A & table B. Table A has field A & Table B has field B.I want to get all the matching data from table A's field A that matches any of the first 11 characters of table B's field B.

Is there a function in Access that I can use it in querying??

Immediate response is quite appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: Access Function Help

Originally posted by mannkasyap
    Hi All:
    I have two tables table A & table B. Table A has field A & Table B has field B.I want to get all the matching data from table A's field A that matches any of the first 11 characters of table B's field B.

Is there a function in Access that I can use it in querying??

Immediate response is quite appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!
    SELECT TableA.A FROM TableA, TableB WHERE (TableA.A=Left(TableB.B,11));

Originally posted by M Owen
    SELECT TableA.A FROM TableA, TableB WHERE (TableA.A=Left(TableB.B,11));
    Thanks for the fast reply, but I want more specific query. Sorry If I wasn't clear enough in my first post.

I want all the records from Field A in table A that matches/exists in the field B in table B.

Thanks Once again!!!

Thanks for the fast reply, but I want more specific query. Sorry If I wasn't clear enough in my first post.

I want all the records from Field A in table A that matches/exists in the field B in table B.

Thanks Once again!!!
    Can you give an example of what you're looking to do? Your expalnation is rather vague (and subject to misinterpretation) ...

Can you give an example of what you're looking to do? Your expalnation is rather vague (and subject to misinterpretation) ...
    For example:

I have some lengthy data in Record 1 in Field B. Record 1 in Field A has data that may or may not be PART of the FIRST 15 characters of record 1 in field B. If its a PART of Record 1 in Field B, then I want all such records in Field A of Table A that matches to the records in Field B.

Hope I'm clear.

Thanks!!

For example:

I have some lengthy data in Record 1 in Field B. Record 1 in Field A has data that may or may not be PART of the FIRST 15 characters of record 1 in field B. If its a PART of Record 1 in Field B, then I want all such records in Field A of Table A that matches to the records in Field B.

Hope I'm clear.

Thanks!!
    Well look at my 1st post then ... Yuo changed things up tho: going from the 1st 11 char to now 15 ... Just change the # of char to match against. Now, again, there is some wiggle room here on your explanation ... Which table is the controlling table? A or B? Also are you looking for all matching records to a SINGLE record in the other table?

Well look at my 1st post then ... Yuo changed things up tho: going from the 1st 11 char to now 15 ... Just change the # of char to match against. Now, again, there is some wiggle room here on your explanation ... Which table is the controlling table? A or B? Also are you looking for all matching records to a SINGLE record in the other table?
    Thanks for the reply Owen.

Table A is the controlling. it has 5000 records & table B has 1200. Yeah I changed it back to 10, but thats not a issue.

I tried using your first post, but I don't see any results when I ran it.

I want all records matching to field B.

Thanks once again!!

Thanks for the reply Owen.

Table A is the controlling. it has 5000 records & table B has 1200. Yeah I changed it back to 10, but thats not a issue.

I tried using your first post, but I don't see any results when I ran it.

I want all records matching to field B.

Thanks once again!!
    Revese it then .... I just did a test with : SELECT [Table A].*
    FROM [Table A], [Table B]
    WHERE (left( [Table A].A,3)=[Table B].B);

With data like:

Table A Table B
    Dog Dog
    doggy Cat
    doggie
    doggone
    dogby