Unanswered: Migrating Oracle 8i from Windows 2000 to Linux(Redhat)

Hello,

I am currently working on a project to Migrate an existing Oracle 8i database running on Windows 2000, to Linux.

The database is maybe 1-2 gigs.

Any suggestions how to do it?

If anyone has experience doing that I will appreciate it.

Assuming I have no problem installing Oracle on the Linux box. What I'll do is I'll do a test migration and figure out what the steps are, and then I'll do it with the actual database.

Re: Migrating Oracle 8i from Windows 2000 to Linux(Redhat)

Originally posted by alex_bg_99
    Hello,

I am currently working on a project to Migrate an existing Oracle 8i database running on Windows 2000, to Linux.

The database is maybe 1-2 gigs.

Any suggestions how to do it?

If anyone has experience doing that I will appreciate it.

Assuming I have no problem installing Oracle on the Linux box. What I'll do is I'll do a test migration and figure out what the steps are, and then I'll do it with the actual database.
    You can use exp/imp.
    Bhavin

MS Computer Science
    OCP DBA 9i/8i

A usermode export from DB ON 2000 PLATFORM and imp it to the DB created on Linux.
    I would suggest after u r done please do post the steps u followed here so that others could refer.

Kaushik

should be pretty straighforward (exp/imp), but you should have a good idea of how your current instance is laid out and try to use the migration as a chance to improve things if there are any shortcomings in your current setup.

You probably want to do a full export, pre-create the instance, tablespaces, users, roles, etc. on the destination instance and then import the schemas that contain data (with imp fromuser=<user> touser=<user>...). It could be really simple, or a big nightmare depending on your database design.

A good compilation of Oracle on Linux info can be found here:

http://www.puschitz.com/

you'll see this site mentioned in numerous posts on here for good reason...

It's also good to hear that you'll be doing a test... nice thing is that what you're doing is a passive operation... keep testing until you're sure that everything is working correctly... I would also try to script out as much of it as possible (don't forget to test the scripts) to keep from making mistakes when you do it for real

have fun!
    drew
    ------------------
    http://wjtechnologies.com

make sure you export using the version your Linux db is at.

ie: if Linux is Oracle 9i, then use that export utility to export the 8i database.

heck, I would say to export from the Linux box regardless.
    - The_Duck
    you can lead someone to something but they will never learn anything ...

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the input from everyone, I had an idea of how to do it, using exp/inp.

I am sure it won't be easy beacuse I am very inexperienced with Oracle.

Another issue I came up with, when I was installing Oracle is how to create the server. What I mean is when I try getting to the system console it asks me for a server name, and I am only using a local database(for testing purposes)

Can someone just briefly explain how that whole thing works.

When I am done with the migration I am thinking to create an HTML document so people could refer to. My idea is to make that document very easy to follow.

Any input will be very appreciated