Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    12

    Question Unanswered: Microsoft SQL Server for the Oracle-centric

    I've recently taken over management responsibility for an application that uses Microsoft SQL Server 2000.

    My experience is primarily in Oracle and I've already self educated myself about some of the differences (such as needing to initiate a BEGIN TRAN if I want a rollback segment.)

    I couldn't readily find any resources that would coach me in the core differences between Oracle and SQL Server and I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction.

    Thanks for your help.
    Howard Nugent
    Sr. Business Application Analyst

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,799
    Provided Answers: 11
    Basic Oracle to SQL dictionary

    Tablespace = Filegroup

    Archivelog = Full Recovery Mode

    NoArchivelog = Simple recovery Mode

    AutoArchive = well, there ain't no Santa Clause either...

    Redo Log = Transaction log

    Rollback Area = Transaction log

    Block = Page

    Extent = Extent (except you have no control on the size)

    Sequence = Hmm. About the Easter Bunny....

    sys = sa

    system = sa

    Control File = Remember when you put a tooth under your pillow, and got a quarter...?

    System Catalog = Two dozen tables whose names all start with "sys"

    SQLPlus = Query Analyzer

    Enterprise Manager = Enterprise Manager....sorta

    This enough to get you started, or was there a particular area you needed?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    45
    Perhaps this guys book would be useful to you.

    http://www.chriskempster.com/

    Hans.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    12
    I'm fairly comfortable with the tools and the layouts. So most of what you posted is already absorbed.

    Let me give you an example:

    Myself and my co-worker are both on this project straight from an Oracle shop. We've had no formal training as MS SQL DBA or programmers.

    I knew about BEGIN TRAN just from experience. When I told her about it she was slightly shocked/surprised.

    I'm looking for other pitfalls/suprises/traps that I might encounter as an Oracle-Centric.
    Or do you think I should just bite the bullet and take some classes?
    Howard Nugent
    Sr. Business Application Analyst

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,799
    Provided Answers: 11
    Hopefully you know that readers block writers in SQL Server, whereas Readers are never blocked in Oracle?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,322
    There's a bunch of stuff here....

    obviously it's slanted toward M$

    If you know Oracle, SQL Server will be a breeze.....

    Do you know if the system is using replication or clustering?

    If not...It'll be a walk in the park.....

    And get some good books

    http://www.sqlteam.com/store.asp

    Oh, and the forums ain't to shabby either....
    Brett
    8-)

    It's a Great Day for America everybody!

    dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

    The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,322
    Originally posted by nugenth
    looking for other pitfalls/suprises/traps that I might encounter as an Oracle-Centric.
    Well....You're gonna need to drop the cursor conciousnous...You know how Oracle uses Cursor pointers a lot?

    Doesn't work that way here. You need to avoid cursors like the plague


    Or do you think I should just bite the bullet and take some classes?
    They gonna pay for it? Why not...Maybe South Beach...
    Brett
    8-)

    It's a Great Day for America everybody!

    dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

    The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,322
    Brett
    8-)

    It's a Great Day for America everybody!

    dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

    The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    59
    such as needing to initiate a BEGIN TRAN if I want a rollback segment.
    That is incorrect.
    This is the default settings for transactions in SQL Server (Auto Commit).
    Look up SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS { ON | OFF } in BOL...

    System Catalog = Two dozen tables whose names all start with "sys"
    This is partical correct, but not advised.. Use the INFORMATION_SCHEMA Views that are used in DB2 and SQL Server but Oracle...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    522
    Originally posted by MCrowley
    Basic Oracle to SQL dictionary

    Tablespace = Filegroup

    Archivelog = Full Recovery Mode

    NoArchivelog = Simple recovery Mode

    AutoArchive = well, there ain't no Santa Clause either...

    Redo Log = Transaction log

    Rollback Area = Transaction log

    Block = Page

    Extent = Extent (except you have no control on the size)

    Sequence = Hmm. About the Easter Bunny....

    sys = sa

    system = sa

    Control File = Remember when you put a tooth under your pillow, and got a quarter...?

    System Catalog = Two dozen tables whose names all start with "sys"

    SQLPlus = Query Analyzer

    Enterprise Manager = Enterprise Manager....sorta

    This enough to get you started, or was there a particular area you needed?
    sequence - identity (thought it was just a different lingo...
    control file - sp_configure + sp_dboption, at least
    system catalog - contents of master and msdb + system objects in every user database

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,322
    oye...it's nor Cursor pointers...

    it's reference cursors....

    Oracle doesn't move data around like sql server

    It's all logical...

    Damn, I need another Oracle project...it's been awhile.....
    Brett
    8-)

    It's a Great Day for America everybody!

    dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

    The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Dark Planet
    Posts
    1,401
    Are DB2 and SQL server not enough ....
    Get yourself a copy of the The Holy Book

    order has no physical Brett in The meaning of a Kaiser . -database data

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    10,322
    No!

    You have to learn how to wash windows as well!

    AND know how to make a MEAN margaritta!
    Brett
    8-)

    It's a Great Day for America everybody!

    dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

    The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    28

    Re: Microsoft SQL Server for the Oracle-centric

    where Rownum() < 100 = select top 100



    Originally posted by nugenth
    I've recently taken over management responsibility for an application that uses Microsoft SQL Server 2000.

    My experience is primarily in Oracle and I've already self educated myself about some of the differences (such as needing to initiate a BEGIN TRAN if I want a rollback segment.)

    I couldn't readily find any resources that would coach me in the core differences between Oracle and SQL Server and I wondered if someone could point me in the right direction.

    Thanks for your help.
    just an analyst......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •