Unanswered: DB2 8.1.2: using JDK 1.4.2

Hello,

I installed the DB2 8.1.2 W2K and I observe the JDK used is 1.3 IBM version. If I attempt to change the JDK directory from X:\SQLLIB\JAVA\JDK to my JDK 1.4.2 directory, when I execute an UDF, I receive an error message indicating DB2 is unable to call this JDK (SQL4301N).

Can I use my Sun JDK 1.4.2 with DB2 8.1.2? How can I do it?

Thanks a lot,

Francesc Rosés

I don't know how well the Sun Java works with DB2, but you can download the IBM 1.4.1 JDK.

Then issue the following command (but customize the path as necessary for the directory path of the version you install). This example is for Linux and IBM Java 1.4:

db2 update dbm cfg using JDK_PATH /opt/IBMJava2-14
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Originally posted by Marcus_A
    I don't know how well the Sun Java works with DB2, but you can download the IBM 1.4.1 JDK.

Then issue the following command (but customize the path as necessary for the directory path of the version you install). This example is for Linux and IBM Java 1.4:

db2 update dbm cfg using JDK_PATH /opt/IBMJava2-14
    Hi,

It seems the tatest IBM JDK for Windows is 1.3.1...

Thanks,

Francesc

Well, I can tell you that in Linux I mainly use sun's JDK and I have never had any problem with.

Whatever version you use, you have to identify the path to DB2 with the statement:

db2 update dbm cfg using JDK_PATH ...........
    M. A. Feldman

Re: DB2 8.1.2: using JDK 1.4.2

Originally posted by froses
    Hello,

I installed the DB2 8.1.2 W2K and I observe the JDK used is 1.3 IBM version. If I attempt to change the JDK directory from X:\SQLLIB\JAVA\JDK to my JDK 1.4.2 directory, when I execute an UDF, I receive an error message indicating DB2 is unable to call this JDK (SQL4301N).

Can I use my Sun JDK 1.4.2 with DB2 8.1.2? How can I do it?

Thanks a lot,

Francesc Rosés
    IBM JDK is fine, just make sure that it works fine as stand alone, i.e. test the java and jre alone independant of DB2, if it is working fine on your machine, then update the DB2 JDK path as guys said here, check the control center and other java GUI tools is working corretly
    hany heggy,
    IBM certified Professional, AIX system support
    www.melodyhits.tv

Re: DB2 8.1.2: using JDK 1.4.2

Originally posted by hanyheggy
    IBM JDK is fine, just make sure that it works fine as stand alone, i.e. test the java and jre alone independant of DB2, if it is working fine on your machine, then update the DB2 JDK path as guys said here, check the control center and other java GUI tools is working corretly
    Hello,

If I use the IBM JDK 1.3.1 installed with DB2, I have no problems. But there is not an IBM JDK 1.1.4 for W2K and it seems impossible to use the Sun JDK. So, for example, I can't use the Regular Expressions API comming with JDK 1.4 nor the XML API, nor the better performance, etc., etc.

I can't understand the latest DB2 version haves a dependence of an obsolete (yes, the latest Sun version is 1.4.2_03 and the 1.5 is comming) discontinued IBM proprietary JDK.

Francesc Rosés

Whatever version you use, you have to identify the path to DB2 with the statement:

db2 update dbm cfg using JDK_PATH ...........
    If I do that specifying my JDK 1.4 directory, and I execute a Select with an UDF, I receive a SQL4301N error. If I specify the IBM JDK directory under X:\SQLLIB\JAVA\JDK, all works.

Thanks,

Francesc

What reason code did you get with the SQL4301N error?
    M. A. Feldman

What reason code did you get with the SQL4301N error?
    Hi,

The reason code is 0. SQLSTATE=58004.

Thanks,

Francesc

I don't see a reason code 0 in the Messages and Codes manual. You might look in the db2diag.log file.

SQL4301N Java interpreter startup or communication failed, reason code reason-code.

Explanation: An error occurred while attempting to start or communicate with a Java interpreter. The reason codes are:

1 Java environment variables or Java database configuration parameters are invalid.

2 A Java Native Interface call to the Java interpreter failed.

3 The "db2java.zip" file may be corrupt or missing.

4 The Java interpreter has terminated itself and cannot be restarted.

User Response: Ensure that the Java databaseconfiguration parameters (jdk_path and java_heap_sz) are correctly set. Ensure that a supported Java runtime environment is installed. Ensure that internal DB2 classes (COM.ibm.db2) are not overridden by user classes.
    M. A. Feldman

I don't see a reason code 0 in the Messages and Codes manual. You might look in the db2diag.log file.

SQL4301N Java interpreter startup or communication failed, reason code reason-code.

Explanation: An error occurred while attempting to start or communicate with a Java interpreter. The reason codes are:

1 Java environment variables or Java database configuration parameters are invalid.

2 A Java Native Interface call to the Java interpreter failed.

3 The "db2java.zip" file may be corrupt or missing.

4 The Java interpreter has terminated itself and cannot be restarted.

User Response: Ensure that the Java databaseconfiguration parameters (jdk_path and java_heap_sz) are correctly set. Ensure that a supported Java runtime environment is installed. Ensure that internal DB2 classes (COM.ibm.db2) are not overridden by user classes.
    Marcus,

The latests annotations in the log file are:
    2004-03-10-11.34.38.984000 InstanceB2 Node:000
    PID:468(db2fmp.exe) TID:2960 Appid:none
    oper system services sqloJAttach Probe:5

JVM startup failed. RC:

0x0012F560 : 0xFFFFEF34 4...

2004-03-10-11.34.38.984001 InstanceB2 Node:000
    PID:468(db2fmp.exe) TID:2960 Appid:none
    BSU Java support sqlejAttach Probe:10

Error from sqloJAttach. RC:

0x0012F590 : 0xFFFFEF34 4...