Unanswered: 'SYB_BACKUP' not found in interfaces file.
I am working in Sybase on Win 2000
When i load a database i get the following error in the error log
00:00000:00010:2004/03/10 10:39:07.41 kernel Connectivity Library (Directory Control Layer) Error: Error returned by service provider.
00:00000:00010:2004/03/10 10:39:07.41 kernel Connectivity Library (Directory Control Layer) Error: (InterfacesDriver): Requested server name not found.
00:00000:00010:2004/03/10 10:39:07.41 server Error: 7220, Severity: 11, State: 1
00:00000:00010:2004/03/10 10:39:07.41 server Site 'SYB_BACKUP' not found in interfaces file.
00:00000:00010:2004/03/10 10:39:07.41 server Error: 7235, Severity:
17, State: 0
00:00000:00010:2004/03/10 10:39:07.41 server No other query entry found for the remote server SYB_BACKUP - site SYB_BACKUP. Aborting this site handler, as no remote server responded. Please make sure the remote server is accepting connections.
I have tried restarting the backup server many times and it is starting but all that is not working
i require a very good mechanism to deal with this problem
(1) Check -I parameter of the backupserver executable in the RUN file first
(2) If above parameter is not specified then look at the the SYBASE environment variable to locate the interfaces file. Update the Backup Server RUN file to reflect the location of the correct interfaces file.
(3) Check for srvname="SYB_BACKUP" in master..sysservers, it should be same as written in interface file. Also, the name in the interfaces file should be the same as that in the -s option of $SYBASE/install/RUN_backupserver file
verify for all above things and find out where the prob is
I dont think hyphen is valid identifier , there is a function called
valid_name which verifies any given name is acceptable to ASE or not
if it returns 0 means its not valid , and with hyphen in any string it returns 0
Backup Server issues are always only at any one of these 3 places
1. RUN_<SERVER>_BS: Check the servername in the -s switch
2. Check the interfaces file has an entry for the same name as -s switch from Step 1
3. select srvname, srvnetname from sysservers wher srvname = 'SYB_BACKUP'
The srvname has to be SYB_BACKUP and the srvnetname should be the same as Step 1 and 2.