Exclamation Unanswered: MSDE / MySQL / SQLServer HELP?

I currently administer/develop an access database that is getting progressively larger.

I now have 70+ users on a split Access database front/back setup and I am developing a clone of this setup for 200+ users.

I KNOW that I'm setting myself up for failure by continuing to use Access as the back end for this App.

What are some other options for back end databases, provided I have no dedicated server for this App and my programming exp is highly limited? (I use macros/queries to get the job done)

BUMP

Provided Answers: 1
    MsSQL Server would be a great choice if you have the option. Access plays quite nicely with SQL server.

As I said, I have no dedicated server for SQLServer2000. I would love to do it that way as I have the most expeirience with SQL Server, however I don't think it's an option (unless I'm mistaken)

Originally posted by Coldendus
    As I said, I have no dedicated server for SQLServer2000. I would love to do it that way as I have the most expeirience with SQL Server, however I don't think it's an option (unless I'm mistaken)
    From Access 2002 (or 2000?) there is a built-in function for local/small SQL server - MS SQL Server 2002 Desktop Engine (DE) - that comes free-to-use.

Here is the information in my 2002 help file:

Hope this helps.

Daniel.

"About SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine
    Some of the content in this topic may not be applicable to some languages.

Note The previous version of SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine was called Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE).

What is SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine?

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine is a technology that provides local data storage in a format compatible with Microsoft SQL Server 2000. You can also use SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine as a remote data storage solution. Think of SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine as a client/server data engine alternative to the file server Microsoft Jet database engine. SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine runs under Microsoft Windows 2000 or later and Windows 98 or later. It is designed and optimized for use on smaller computer systems, such as a single-user computer or small workgroup server.

Because SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine is based on the same data engine as SQL Server, most Microsoft Access projects or client/server applications run on either version. However unlike SQL Server, SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine has a 2 gigabyte database size limit, doesn't support Symmetrical Multiprocessing (SMP) on Windows 98 or later, and when using transactional replication, can't be a replication publisher (although it can act as a replication subscriber).

Note Do not confuse SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine with SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition, which includes a full set of management tools and most of the functionality of SQL Server Standard Edition, but is optimized for personal use and is a separate product."

Thank you. I had considered that option as well unfortunately I belive that MSDE can only support up to 5 connections. Again maybe I'm wrong.

Is there anywhere I might be able to obtain a free version of a backend database compatable with Access (that is not Access itself) that could support more than 200 users.

Before the laughter starts let me just say that I know this is an enterprise size project and that it should be properly funded, however the cash is not available.... so... moving on...

Originally posted by Coldendus
    Is there anywhere I might be able to obtain a free version of a backend database compatable with Access (that is not Access itself) that could support more than 200 users.
    I have too little knowledge about this, but perhaps this is interesting - Borland/Inprise's former Interbase, now opensource as Firebird:

http://firebird.sourceforge.net

Daniel