Unanswered: size of a form in the details section

Hi all,

I'm very much a novice but I'm creating a form in the Design View and I've already put loads of fields to be fulfilled and am/have run out of space in the details section of the form.

Is there a limit to the size of a form or how can I increase the size of the form.

Attached file has the form which is getting very crowded!!

Also is it possible to create navigation on a form so that you can jump from one section to another e.g. the Board of Directors, the Financials, the Exec fields etc.

Final also! when moving from one field to another I use the tab and then have to use the mouse to start entering data, is there a way to move from field to field by keyboard without potentially overwriting the existing data.

Many thanks,

Attached Files Attached Files
    Fortune Global 500 Databank

Re: size of a form in the details section

Break your table up into smaller tables. For instance create a competitors table with a CompId & CompName, Create an Employee table with EmpID, EmpName, EmpTitle & EmpSalutation. Create an Analyst table with AnalystID, AnalystName. Create an SIC Table with SICCode & SICDesc. Now create a second table for each of these with a CompanyID and a linking field such as CompID or EmpId, etc.

The trick is to enter the data once and be able to use it in many places. The info tables will provide you with a place to put in a competitor's name, etc. and the linking table will provide you with a way to link that competitor with many companies.

Now clean up your main form and take out all of the fields that aren't in the company table. Add a tab form to the main form. You'll want a tab for each section (competitor, employee, etc.)

You'll want to create a query that contains the linking table and the data table for each data table. Create a subform based on each query. Be sure to have the CompanyID on each subform (it can be hidden) so that it may be liked with the main form. Now place each of those subforms on the appropriate tab. Having a subform will allow you to have as few or as many rows as you may need.

You will also need to create a form that has an append query for each table so that you can append the data to each linking table.

This should keep you busy for a short while. It sounds worse than it really is. The nice thing about doing it this way is not only will it minimize your data input, it will also provide you with a method to see the information on a larger scale such as how many companies has Joe Director on their board.

I hope this helps.