Unhappy Unanswered: Pervasive Relational Engine Crashing

Hiya,

We use the Relational engine with ODBC connections from both PHP and VB6 to get direct access to a Pastel database.

from time to time (and with increasing frequency) the Relational engine crashes for no apparent reason.

There are no messages in the PVSW.LOG file of interest - I am looking at extending this?!?!

Once the service has crashed - it will not respond to service restart calls from Windows, which means a server reboot.

Can anyone help?

Any ideas on at least which proceses to stop manually in order to restart the Relational engine would be useful, although I'd rather solve the crash in the first place.

Many thanks in advance.

Rom

Provided Answers: 4
    If the service isn't responding to WIndows calls, you'll probably have to reboot to restart it.
    As far as the crash itself, make sure you are running the latest version of the Pervasive engine you're using (SP4 for 2000i, SP1 for V8,etc).
    Can you make the crash happen? If not, do you see any patterns when it crashes (large number of users, same query or query type, etc)? Also, what version of the engine and ODBC driver are you using?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Hi There,

Thanks for the prompt reply..

We are using 2000i SP4, although we have not applied the HotFix - I will be doing this this eveing.

We cannot make the crash happen at will.

ODBC Driver :: 7.94.251.02

Does any of this help?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 4
    The HotFix is a good idea. Being able to make the crash happen or at least knowing which statements are like to cause the crash is better. I don't know of any specific crashes that I can say will be fixed by the FTF. You've got to narrow it down some more. Try to detect a pattern to the crashes.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.