Unanswered: compact and repair database

Is there a way I can set up a process to automatically compact and repair database when I close it?

My database is very cluttered (I think) :-) and as a novice want to know how I can compact as I go along.

Thanks
    pachamama
    www.researchbank.co.uk
    Fortune Global 500 Databank

Provided Answers: 1
    In order to compact a datatBase it should be closed, this means U should comapct it from another DB.

Provided Answers: 1
    And the order is Application.DBEngine.CompactDatabase SourceName , DistinationName

What version of Access are you using? Up to Access 97, You would have to close the DB before compacting. Having said that, if you are the only user, you could use the SendKeys method. After Access 97, you can compact and repair on closing the DB. Go to Tools>options and I think it is on the view tab. The Microsoft Knowledge base have code for compacting and repairing at a scheduled time.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=acc97

David

Re: compact and repair database

Tools --> Options --> "General" tab
    There is a tick box (bottom left hand) for "Compact on Close", check it, and OK

I hope this helps. I am a novice too, but I happen to know this!

Originally posted by pachamama
    Is there a way I can set up a process to automatically compact and repair database when I close it?

My database is very cluttered (I think) :-) and as a novice want to know how I can compact as I go along.

Thanks

Re: compact and repair database

Originally posted by syk
    Tools --> Options --> "General" tab
    There is a tick box (bottom left hand) for "Compact on Close", check it, and OK
    That would affect all databases, not always desireable. Moreover, mostly you would want to ensure that this happens for all users specirfying it in the db itself. With the above general method, that one needs to be set on each user's computer, and may have to be manyally reset after a reinstall, etc....

D.