Thread: BCP problems

Unanswered: BCP problems

I'm having problems using the BCP tool in MS SQL Server 6.5 Enterprise Manager. At the moment the tool or command prompt for BCP does not load correctly. As soon as I click on BCP in the Tools menu a black window apear for a fraction of a second an then disapears.
    The task i want to use bcp for is to export 2 tables from a database to ASCIIfiles to be archived. Any other tools that I could use for that?

As you have probably guessed I'm a total newbie with SQL Server so any help or ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
    /a

I've never used 6.5 so I'm not sure of it's DTS capabilities, but in 7.0 and on exporting tables can be accomplished fairly easy in EM by right clicking on the table -> All tasks -> Export Data into a variety of formats.

Also, you can open a command window outside of EM and enter BCP statements directly. Entering BCP at the prompt should give you the format and parameters.

Wohoo it works! I was so focused that bcp was only used in EM, but now it works. Thanks a bunch. Now I only have to figure out how to format it the way I want. :-o

Ever look at xp_cmdshell and bcp?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Originally posted by Brett Kaiser
    Ever look at xp_cmdshell and bcp?
    Only brief, is it good? Or the question I should be asking, can I use it on this crappy old NTserver?

Hmm.. it seems like bcp does not like εδφ. How can that be solved?

Provided Answers: 54
    If you can live with a non-standard (binary) file format, you can use -n. If you want to stay pure ASCII, use -w but be prepared for Unicode (16 bit) characters.

-PatP