Unanswered: SQL Server 2k Agent Service stuck in starting state

I have a Win 2003 server running 3 instances of SQL 2000 Enterprise.
    The problem is I can only start 2 of the 3 Job Agents at a time, as the 3rd gets stuck in a starting state.
    Has anyone struck this problem before?

Thanks.

Are all three instances running the same service account? I've seen this problem with a bad AD account before.
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

Provided Answers: 54
    Does anything of interest show up in the NT logs when this happens?

-PatP

No all 3 Agents are running under different service accounts.
    And its not like its just 1 specific agent having the problem, I can start default and instance 1, then try 2 and 2 fails. Or I can start default and 2, then 1 fails.
    Also nothing appears in the eventviewer except the service start and stop messages.
    Maybe I could try starting the services using the same NT Account - or local system to see if that fixes the problem.

I agree, and to cover your bases make sure all three instances have the latest SP (SP3a)
    ---------------

Okay - All 3 instances are SP3a and hotfixed, I tried to use a different account to start the service and this is the message received :

"The SQLAgent$IN02 service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

I get the same message if I use the 'Local System Account'.

When I try and use an account already being used by 1 of the other instances I get the following error :

"Could not start the SQLAgent$IN02 service on Local Computer.
    Error 5: Access is Denied"

If you are using a domain account make sure that account has access to the named instance, for example if you were using an account named "joe", "Joe" would need to have an SQL login to the instance, if Joe is an admin account and you have not removed the builtin admins group, he should work.

Does that make sense?
    ---------------

Checked and all 3 services are using Domain User accounts that are in the Local Admin group on the box. Have also made sure the account is has SA rights in the SQL Server Instance.
    Not sure where to go from here, I even went as far as deleting the user out of AD and recreating it, then readding it to SQL Server.
    The server might be looking for a rebuild i suspect.

Ok all - this is now fixed.....after trying to get it going for the last 3 weeks
    Applied 2 of the latest security fixes for Win 2k3, added the accounts into the local admin group, stopped and restarted all the Job Agents.
    It came right after stopping and restarting all the agents.
    Thanks for all of your help on this.