Thumbs down Unanswered: content manager eclient z/os question

I have Websphere 5.0, EIP 8.2 (development workstation), DB2 8.2, and eClient 8.2 installed on a 2000 workstation. My CM Library Server and Resource Manager are on z/OS. I can get to CM on z/os thru the windows client with no problems. Unfortunately, I don't exactly understand what I have to do to set up the eclient and then access that "server" from another client.

I have lots of questions and any help would be appreciated.

I thought that EIP would ask for the connection configuration to get to z/os (like DB2 Connect)?

Why does it require DB2 and why did it create a ICMNLSDB database?

Why do I log on (attach) to this ICMNLSDB database?

What does FED and CM8 mean??

When trying to log on to the ICMNLSDB (FED), I get an invalid password, user id, or server id error. When I log on to the ICMNLSDB (CM8), I get the error below. I know that everything is on z/OS so I'm not surprised that I get an error. It never asked me where CM resided.

How do I direct it to the mainframe? I assume there is some INI file that I need to change?

I installed the EIP development workstation. Did I install the wrong part of EIP?

This is a separate issue. When I use the browser from my workstation
    and try to get to the eClient workstation, I get the logon failure on
    both of the server ID options (FED and CM8). Why didn't it use the
    ICMNLSDB on the eClient workstation?

Error Report

An Error Has Occurred!
    com.ibm.mm.beans.CMBException: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0444N
    Routine "ICMLOGON" (specific name "SQL040309123034790") is implemented
    with code in library or path "\ICMLOGON", function "ICMLOGON" which
    cannot be accessed. Reason code: "4". SQLSTATE=42724

COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0444N

Re: content manager eclient z/os question

There are many possibilities depending on the architecture ...

If you want to install eClient on another server, you have to install on this machine :
    DB2 Connect or DB2 runtime Client to catalog the ICMNLSDB database and share it with EIP or you can install DB2 UDB ESE on this machine just for the EIP database and don't forget to catalog ICMNLSDB database...
    WAS
    EIP (development workstation to get the java APIs) the local connectors to CMv8 (u don't need the other connectors if u just want to connect to CM)

then u have to configure the cmbcmenv.properties, cmbicmsrvs.ini files
    Or you can just install the Windows client (these files will be installed and configured). Theses files are very important, it is used to locate the CM server.

If you want you can test the connection to CM from that machine with the windows client, then you can install the eClient.

EIP can share the ICMNLSDB database with CM, or u can create one especially for EIP. This database is used to store the federated entities... you won't need it if you just use EIP to connect to CM, you can disable the connection to the federated datasotre from the eClient by setting FED=false in the IDM.properties file located where you've installed the eClient.

I hope it helps... if you have more question, there is a newsgroup about content manager : news://news.software.ibm.com/ibm.sof...ontent-manager

Originally posted by chinatrain99
    I have Websphere 5.0, EIP 8.2 (development workstation), DB2 8.2, and eClient 8.2 installed on a 2000 workstation. My CM Library Server and Resource Manager are on z/OS. I can get to CM on z/os thru the windows client with no problems. Unfortunately, I don't exactly understand what I have to do to set up the eclient and then access that "server" from another client.

I have lots of questions and any help would be appreciated.

I thought that EIP would ask for the connection configuration to get to z/os (like DB2 Connect)?

Why does it require DB2 and why did it create a ICMNLSDB database?

Why do I log on (attach) to this ICMNLSDB database?

What does FED and CM8 mean??

When trying to log on to the ICMNLSDB (FED), I get an invalid password, user id, or server id error. When I log on to the ICMNLSDB (CM8), I get the error below. I know that everything is on z/OS so I'm not surprised that I get an error. It never asked me where CM resided.

How do I direct it to the mainframe? I assume there is some INI file that I need to change?

I installed the EIP development workstation. Did I install the wrong part of EIP?

This is a separate issue. When I use the browser from my workstation
    and try to get to the eClient workstation, I get the logon failure on
    both of the server ID options (FED and CM8). Why didn't it use the
    ICMNLSDB on the eClient workstation?

Error Report

An Error Has Occurred!
    com.ibm.mm.beans.CMBException: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0444N

COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.DB2Exception: [IBM][CLI Driver][DB2/NT] SQL0444N