Unanswered: Access 2000 Randon Integers Populating Table

We have an Access 2000 application where we are experiencing problems with random integers appearing in records. I've actually seen it myself, the app will be sitting there and the fields which are numbers all of a sudden go into the random millions.

This has been going on for several months. All of the auto-refresh features have been turned off, appropriate MS patches for Access 2000 have been applied, we are at our wits end. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds interesting !

When you say you saw it, was anyone else using the database?

You could try opening the database exclusivily and redo what you did, see if it occurs again. This should stop anyone else opening whilst you are looking at it (be prepared for angry people phoning!!)

Does anyone else have access to the database? Do they have any unusual regional settings on their PC ?

I have seen this happen in Excel, but not access, so I am intrigued.

~Ken

Actually, I have tried all those things.

I should've been a little more specific about the environment which this app is being used. It's a small office 4-5 users. The database resides on a Windows 2000 server. The users actually have a mix of Windows XP Professional and Windows 98 SE running on their machines.

There are no wierd regional settings on their machines.

Hmm ... what else can I tell you? Could the fact the app is on a server be the problem? If so, that's not very encouraging.

Re: Access 2000 Randon Integers Populating Table

Originally posted by nordyke
    We have an Access 2000 application where we are experiencing problems with random integers appearing in records. I've actually seen it myself, the app will be sitting there and the fields which are numbers all of a sudden go into the random millions.

This has been going on for several months. All of the auto-refresh features have been turned off, appropriate MS patches for Access 2000 have been applied, we are at our wits end. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    What is the column type? Long? This has the hallmark of an overflow issue ...

Mixture of singles and longs.

Mixture of singles and longs.
    There you go ... Also, since you mentioned Win98, integers are generally 16 bit whereas on NT 3.51 and up they are 32 bit ... You might also be having an OS issue regarding that ...

Now that we have diagnosed the problem, what would be the appropriate fix?

Are the MS Access patches not enough? Do I need to pursue the patches for the different OS's involved?

Thanks so much for all of your help in this matter.

Now that we have diagnosed the problem, what would be the appropriate fix?

Are the MS Access patches not enough? Do I need to pursue the patches for the different OS's involved?

Thanks so much for all of your help in this matter.
    Sorry ... This requires fixing code ... Has nothing to do with the OS ...