Unanswered: Query engine error

I am trying to open a table in a database created in Access 2000 with Crystal Reports. I can connect to the database, see the tables, but when I try to add one to my report, I get a read permissions error. I can open other databases developed by the same program, but get the same error trying under either DAO or ODBC. The program developer can open the database using Access. Any thoughts?

Was security set up? It seems like it has if you are getting read permission errors.

It appears as if the Access 2000 database somehow got "upgraded" to an Access 2002 database, with the resulting changes to security. I have no clue how it could have happened since I do not have Access 2000 or 2002. We do have Office 2002, but I do not think that alone could have converted the database?

Provided Answers: 1
    Have the developer rebuild the database in 2000 then set the read-only property to true.

Originally posted by Teddy
    Have the developer rebuild the database in 2000 then set the read-only property to true.
    That is what we did. I should have removed my posting. But I am still unclear what would have upgraded the database?

Provided Answers: 1
    If someone with 2k2 + opens a 2k file, access automatically attempts to conver the file to the current version which renders it useless to those still using the previous version of access. Setting it to read only prevents this auto-conversion.

I appreciate your answers, but I still wonder if no one here has Access, either 2000 or 2002, how it could have been upgraded. All we have here is a runtime version of Access 2000.