Unanswered: Upgrading from Access

I have read a few books on SQL Server and on access. I recently got my 1st programming job (vb.net)

I want to move my database from Access to SQL server. But I would like to Use access as the front end for simple data entry, queries and reports. I dont know how to do this,, (using Access as a front end for SQL Server)

Can anyone recomend topics of interest or a good book?

Thanks

~M

If you are using .net, wouldn't it make your life easier to use a datagrid built with Visual Studio.net? Just a though...

Originally posted by AnSQLQuery
    If you are using .net, wouldn't it make your life easier to use a datagrid built with Visual Studio.net? Just a though...

The stuff is already done in Access. I dont want to reinvent the wheel yet

Then if you wanted, you can just link the tables in Access to the SQL Tables. Pretty much just like you'd link tables in SQL. There's even a wizard I think when you click new table you can select ODBC source, and provide DSN info, etc.

Originally posted by AnSQLQuery
    Then if you wanted, you can just link the tables in Access to the SQL Tables. Pretty much just like you'd link tables in SQL. There's even a wizard I think when you click new table you can select ODBC source, and provide DSN info, etc.

isnt odbc like older than dirt? is there a more upto date method?

hehe...I don't know the answer to that. I can tell you that I am using Office XP, and the only options when I create a linked table are excel, outlook, a couple of others like DB2, etc. and ODBC. If you choose ODBC, you can specify the DSN, etc., etc.

If there is a way to do it without using ODBC someone else may be able to tell you... sry.

one of my favorite access tools is the ms access project
    it is designed to access SQL Server directly and not for local table use.
    use Dts to copy your access tables into a SQL Server Database
    open access
    file to new
    select Access Data Project (existing Data)
    fill out the UDL (this uses OLEDB not ODBC) enter your server, connection, authentication etc....

now you have a access database with linked tables to SQL
    with some new tabs on the left
    Views, Storedprocedures as well as the traditional
    tables, forms, reports, macros, and modules

it's simple and you can just deploy the front end to a shared dir not worrying about back end corruption.
    it's like a super database splitter process
    Last edited by Ruprect; 03-11-04 at 13:09.