Question Unanswered: In Cell drop down list

Is there a way to create an In Cell drop down list from a set of fields from a different sheet in the same workbook?

I know you can do it from a list of fields that is on the same sheet.

Thanks in advance,

If you are referring to Validation Lists, yes, you can. Just include the sheet name before the reference cells in the "refers to" box.

I tend to name my ranges, so you could use that technique (include the named range in the refers to) as well.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

I've tried this. Or atleast I think I've tried this. Maybe I had something wrong it in. Could you give me an example?

Thanks,

Here you go: Data on Sheet 1, Validation on Sheet2 A1.

Hope that helps,

Smitty

After you've named your range, in Data Validation, the source needs to be =NamedRange
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sweet thanks!

Okay this worked just great. I now have a similar question along this same line. Can you have a drop down list be created after you enter something in a field, without having to run code or press a button. Like in Access where you can do after update or whatever. What I'm needing is the drop down list to go off of what is entered in column A. Like someone doing data entry. So they enter data in Column A, press enter, then depending on what they entered, Column B will be the corresponding drop down list. Column A and the drop down list are on a seperate tab in the worksheet. So I look up what was entered in column A and get a set of data to create the drop down list. Make sense?

Thanks,

Just extend the Named Range. I.E. my example used A1:A12. Got Insert-->Name-->Define and select the name, then in the Refers To: box, just adjust the range. As you add data to the range it will automatically appear in the Validation cell.

Hope that's what you were looking for.

Smitty

I think I didn't make myself clear enough. Attached is a spreadsheet that on Sheet 1 I have the lists that I'm creating my drop down lists from on Sheet 2. But what I want is when I'm on sheet 2 column A, and I'm entering data. Let's say I enter in test1, I want column B to automatically create the drop down list that is associated to test1 range of cells after I hit the enter key. Look at the spreadsheet maybe that might help explain a little.
    Attached Files Attached Files

From another list (I think Aladin on mrexcel.com):

http://216.92.17.166/board2/viewtopi...ent+validation
    Last edited by shades; 03-11-04 at 16:31.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums