Unanswered: SQL platform upgrade

I need some feedback to bolster my position with a client who is planning a platform migration. They are currently running SQL 7.0 SP3 on Windows NT4 and want to upgrade to Windows 2003. First off, SQL 7.0 isn't going to run on Windows 2003, so their first response is "let's buy the licenses and run Win2000 and SQL7 until we're ready to migrate to SQL2000". Ok... licensing cost controls aside, they're investing significant $$ in acquiring the hardware. What's my most compelling argument for moving them to a Win2003/SQL2000 platform now. (Other than the wait for Yukon is likely to be significant ;-) )

Any feedback would be appreciated.

NT is crap!

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    Originally posted by aldo_2003
    NT is crap!
    ...and Windoze 2000 is NT 5.0, and 2003 is...

Nevermind, you've made your point.

Columbia, MD USA
    I'd say that they would be better off getting a new box, going with Win 2003 and MSSQL 2000, that way they would be at the latest versions and can leave thier production environment intact in case the migration takes longer or they encounter problems with application compatability with MSSQL 2000...

it would be stupid/dangerous to try upgrading Windows in place on a production system

the only compelling argument to run Win2000 and MSSQL 7 on a new machine would be if thier current setup is on it's last leg, in that case you might not have the time to properly migrate and test the application fully.

If the current machine is running okay, I would take the time and do it right the first time, it will cost less and they will be better off in the long run

Greenville, SC
    Let them know that Microsoft is taking Win2000 server off the shelves and support is going to be minimal if any within the next couple of months. Then they will have to turn around and purchase Win2003 and Sql2000....

Be aware Windows 2003 Supports Only SQL Server 2000 SP3 or Later and its always better to re-install the OS freshly rather than continuing with Upgrade from older versions.

It will be no issue in upgrading SQL server database from 7 to 2K or so. - generic tips about running SQL on Win2k3.
    --Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP