Unanswered: New Autonumbered Field in Query

How can I create a new (Calculated) Autonumberd field in a Query? This is probably a no brainer for many of you, but I can't seem to figure out the formula quickly. Thanks. JAH

If you are trying to create a incrementing number within a query, goto the knowledge base and search for

QrySmp00.mdb

under Access 2K

It has about 20 sample query, several which touch on this, and others that might be of interest to you.

S-

Provided Answers: 1
    Are you trying to get the row number of each record, each time the query is executed?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

No, we are trying to create an Autonumbered Field to uniquely identify each Record (within the Query), without creating a new Table. Thanks!! JAH

Originally posted by Revixx
    No, we are trying to create an Autonumbered Field to uniquely identify each Record (within the Query), without creating a new Table. Thanks!! JAH
    Why? This has almost no useful purpose ... With querying you can iterate thru the recordset and have an external counter for "uniquely identifying" each record ...

Provided Answers: 1
    Yeah, I gotta wonder why you need this.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Ok, to clarify further...we are trying to create a new Table from a Query that will automatically include an Autonumbered field to uniquely identify each resulting record that is displayed from the Query. (does that help..?) JAH

Why? This has almost no useful purpose ... With querying you can iterate thru the rec

Hello.
    I also have the same problem to uniquely identify each record from the query. What my query does is it picks up the top 5 records from a table based on certain condition. Now I want to display this 5 records simultaneously on a report, with each record field being displayed in a seperate text field i.e. Record 1 field 1 in text box 1, Record 1 field 2 in text box 2, ..........., Record n field m+n text box y. Without a unique number on the query it will be very difficult to pick up the required records, I mean how to tell Access to go and pick up first record, then second record, etc? With autonumber in the query, it would be easier to extract the required information record by record from the query. Any suggestions plz?

And M Owen, could you plz explain in detail about your previous anwer....
    "With querying you can iterate thru the recordset and have an external counter for "uniquely identifying" each record ".

I dont seem to catch the crux of the answer.

Cheers All.

Prathmesh