Unanswered: How to schedule export from FileMaker Pro

Hi,

I am new to FM Pro and some a scheduling requirement.
    I have a FileMaker Pro database and I want to export this to a csv file which will be loaded into an Oracle database. I need to schedule this export every week. Is there any way I can schedule the filemaker pro export? I am using version 5 of FM pro and my operating system is Windows 2000.

ANy scripts to achieve this will be helpful.

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Krishan

Re: How to schedule export from FileMaker Pro

Originally posted by kumark
    Hi,

I am new to FM Pro and some a scheduling requirement.
    I have a FileMaker Pro database and I want to export this to a csv file which will be loaded into an Oracle database. I need to schedule this export every week. Is there any way I can schedule the filemaker pro export? I am using version 5 of FM pro and my operating system is Windows 2000.

ANy scripts to achieve this will be helpful.

Any help on this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Krishan

Look at Trio Activator and/or Waves in Motion Events. Either one of these plug-ins will easily fulfill your needs.

You may also think of using the SQL Execute script step to push the data directly to the Oracle database. You may also use XML to Export to a URL from you Oracle data source.

hope this helps...

Let me know...

joe@svkingpen.com

Thanks for your reply.
    Does this mean that there is no scheduling feature available in FileMaker Pro and we will have to turn to some other plug-in to get this done?

Please confirm this.

Thanks,
    Krishan

Thanks for your reply.
    Does this mean that there is no scheduling feature available in FileMaker Pro and we will have to turn to some other plug-in to get this done?

Please confirm this.

Thanks,
    Krishan

One of the few things FileMaker did not address in version 7, is trigger support. FileMaker has never offically had support for triggers. It is possible to trigger a script from outside of FilerMaker, or execuate a script with a button, but not within FMP on a timed schedule without a plug-in...

thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible to write a FileMaker script and then run it using MS-DOS? If that is possible, I will write the export script and then write a DOS batch file, which will run the export script. I can schedule the DOS batch file.

If it is possible, can you tell me how to invoke FileMaker Pro script from DOS batch file. Any sample script would be highly helpful.

Thanks again for you answer.

Regards,
    Krishan

[SIZE=1]Originally posted by kumark
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.

Is it possible to write a FileMaker script and then run it using MS-DOS? If that is possible, I will write the export script and then write a DOS batch file, which will run the export script. I can schedule the DOS batch file.

If it is possible, can you tell me how to invoke FileMaker Pro script from DOS batch file. Any sample script would be highly helpful.

Thanks again for you answer.

Regards,
    Krishan [/SIZE
    ]

You can not trigger a FileMaker script from DOS, but you can launch a FileMaker file from DOS, so if you create an empty database with only one script in it and that script performs a external script in the main file called export.txt, then it would work. If you are interest I could do a demo 'opener' file in about 2 minutes...

Later,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Could you please give me the script and also explain in detail what steps do I need to do to get this done.

Thanks for all the help.

Krishan

Hi Joe,

Could you please give me the script and also explain in detail what steps do I need to do to get this done.

Thanks for all the help.

Krishan

What version of FileMaker are you using?

I am using FileMaker Pro 5.0v3.

Thanks,
    Krishan

I am using FileMaker Pro 5.0v3.

Thanks,
    Krishan
    There are three files in the sample solution. The Main file will be replaced with your 'real' file were the data resides. When you open launch this file it will remain to open normally. It may even ask for a password if needed. The launch file will avoid the password by passing the master password and triggering the EXT Export script. The Normal startup script will be skipped. The launch file is the one you will need to trigger from DOS...

Hope this helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Joe,

Thanks for sending the files.
    I tried running them and they worked fine. launch file.fp5 picks the data from Main.fp5. Now I want to change the launch_file.fp5 to pick my Actual data file. How do I edit the launch_file.fp5?

Thanks again for all your help.

Krishan

Hi Joe,

Thanks for sending the files.
    I tried running them and they worked fine. launch file.fp5 picks the data from Main.fp5. Now I want to change the launch_file.fp5 to pick my Actual data file. How do I edit the launch_file.fp5?

Thanks again for all your help.

Krishan
    First you will need to add a script in your 'actual data file' to do the export. Then you will go to 'Launch File', go to Seriptmaker, select the script, click edit, and in the step where it does a 'Perform Script: External', you will want to edit that so that it point to your file, and the script that you have written for the export...

Out of curiousity, what DOS command did you use to launch the Launch file- there area couple of methods.

thanks.

Joe

Thanks Joe.

I will try this out. My only concern is whenevr I try to open Lauch file, it does export and closes. I am not sure how can I modify the script within the launch file.

I used the start command to run the launch file from DOS.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Krishan

Thanks Joe.

I will try this out. My only concern is whenevr I try to open Lauch file, it does export and closes. I am not sure how can I modify the script within the launch file.

I used the start command to run the launch file from DOS.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Krishan
    If you create a relationship from the main file to the launch file, it will re-open the launch file without running the startup script- same logic that we are using on the main file. Once the file is open, you can go the Scriptmaker and review the script. I think that you will find it very straightforward. One step- perform script external.

I check back on Thursday to see how things are going...

thanks,

Joe