Question Unanswered: Ideal hardware configuration

What is the ideal hardware configuration for SQL Server 2000? We have about 2 dozen databases - ranging in size from 500 MB up to 90 GB. All databases have very heavy traffic from multiple users on the same app. There are about 8 reads for every write, averaging about 8 million writes per 24-hour period.

Currently we have these databases split across 2 servers with 4 2.4 Ghz hyperthreaded processors and have 8 GB of RAM. The disks are 10,000 RPM SCSI, and are all in one very large physical disk array split into 2 logical drives per server. Logs and data for multiple databases are all sharing the same array.

Performance is becoming a pressing issue. Our Network administrator is 100% that the hardware configuration is not an issue, and I am 100% convinced it is at least a major part of the issue. Does anyone here feel that it may be the issue?

You need to keep the log on a different array than the data file. Keeping them apart is the first thing you learn in SQL Admin class. You get better performance and it's fault tollerant.

Thanks for the reply. That is the main point I have been trying to make to our NA (I have taken that class, too!), but he insists that it will not make a difference at all.