Unanswered: I need help in design?

I am trying to create a database that is used to create/store estimates for a manufacturing company. There are many things to consider in this estimate but I will isolate this question to the takeoff itself:

There are several categories in which costs are estimated and they are as follows : Product(s), Site Work, Transportation (Shipping), Field Materials, etc...

Should each of the above have their own "Takeoff" table, or would using one table and a gategory table be a better way to go?

Mike B

Are these all products? If so, I would use one table with a category column, probably need more info to give better advice.
    ---------------
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

Originally posted by rhigdon
    Are these all products? If so, I would use one table with a category column, probably need more info to give better advice.
    No they are not all products but, the take off list has the following items
    Code:
    Item | Description | Quantity | Cost | Sub-Total | %adj. | &adj. | Total
    So, if I create identity columns on the source tables with the use of categories to create a surrogate key....?

Code:
    tbProduct
    Entry (FK) | ProductID (PK) | Account | etc...
    -----------------------------------------------------
    1              | DT101A           | 2301     | .....

tbTransportation
    Entry (PK)| Company | Rate
    ---------------------------------
    1             | 1             | 450

tbCategories
    Category | Description
    --------------------------
    1            | Product
    2            | Transportation

tbTakeoff
    Estimate (PK)  | Entry (fk)  | Category (fk)   | Quantity | Cost   | .......
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1000               | 1              | 1                    | 1250      | 11.25 |......
    1000               | 1              | 2                    | 2           | 450    |....

What do ya think?

Mike B