Unanswered: Replication / Federation

I'm on AIX 5.1 DB2 8.1.4

Could anyone please, in short, explain me the difference between replication and federation - I have to move large quantitites of data between the source - electronic forms filled in by doctors, and the target - the statistics server.

I have both things enabled and have read the manual - including
    the wrapper creation section.

But I'm still confused, does federation imply that I'd have to be sysadm
    on both databases (instances) ? , on separate servers, or can I access remote data as a user?
    Kristian K. Hansen
    Project Supervisor
    National Board of Health

Provided Answers: 5
    Replication is a method of copying or propagating data from one server to another. The users on one server cannot "see" the tables on the other server unless they are connected to it. There are many scenarios that Replication implements. These are explained by examples in the Replication Guide and in the redbook on Replication.

Federation is a method to make it appear that the tables of one server actually reside on the other server. It its previous life this was called DataJoiner. It allows access to data regardless of were it resides through a central point.

HTH

Andy

Thank you so much for clarifying, however if I
    federate my databases can't I just select at the source server
    and insert them into tables at the target server - thus 'replicating' them?

In other words; is replication not simply a subset of the federation utility.

No biggie I have federated - thanks to your help.

Sincerely Yours
    Kristian K. Hansen
    Project Supervisor
    National Board of Health

Provided Answers: 5
    Tank,
    Yes you could do that, but that puts the onus of keeping the data in sync on the application developer. Replication captures all modifications (insert, update, and delete) that are committed to the source and copies them to the target in the same manner as the Unit of Work that performed the modifications. All this transparent to the application.

It depends on you needs what you should use. If you are happy and can easily use Federation for your solution, then that is great.

Andy