Unanswered: A few noobie problems with postgresql

Yes, im pretty new to postgresql. To be more precise, not only to postgresql but also to Mysql and MS-SQL.

My current setup is apache2.0, PHP4 (PHP Version 4.0.3pl1 to be precise) and postgresql 7.4.1 on a Windows 2003 Server.

Actually the postgresql came with cygwin2.0.

I actually was able to create a few tables, triggers and function but to my horror i am not able to connect to my db with pg_connect().

Yes, i get the "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: pg_connect()" error.
    I found quite a few "solutions" and basicly it said to recompile PHP.

From what i understand is that when PHP is installed on windows, it has all "options" enabled. Even spotted a few pg_ thingies in php.ini file.

When searching for solutions something else got my attention as well. The postgres.conf file has only a few options enabled.
    If i edit the postgres.conf file.. will the new settings be enabled when i create a new db in "template1=# create database <dbname>"?

On a side note,
    if i do have to recompile PHP on a windows machine... i'd love to see a nice link as i've been unsuccesfull in finding a link "how to...." recompile it.

Thanks a bunch,

-Ed

Thumbs up Create your Db

You must get to the Pgsql cywin shell and create your Db, take a look to the doc www.postgresql.org/docs/ to know morea baout that's what is missing to your party to start.
    Open up
    Take a look to my Blog http://www.rundom.com/karim2k

The problem isnt that i cant create a new db.
    I wonder if the postgres.conf (which i have edited with tcpip_socket=true) will be used by the new db.

Further more i dont seem to be able to connect to the db with pg_connect() wich annoys the bloody hell outta me.

-Ed

The problem isnt that i cant create a new db.
    I wonder if the postgres.conf (which i have edited with tcpip_socket=true) will be used by the new db.

Further more i dont seem to be able to connect to the db with pg_connect() wich annoys the bloody hell outta me.

-Ed

Did you took care of each point written here:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/print/use-p...ql-php-windows

Did you start the postmaster with the option -i (listen to tcp/ip connection)

/Walter

Yes, its the walk-through i used to install cygwin and postgresql.

Even edited the postgres.conf and set tcpip_socket=true.

I fear it is a php related problem but im far from sure.

-Ed

You probably need to uncomment this line in php.ini:

;extension=php_pgsql.dll

(just remove the ; in front)

Then you need to restart Apache for the new settings to take effect.

Thanks alot for the post, it was really helpfull.

Indeed, in my php.ini the line extension=php_pgsql.dll was indeed preceded by (.

After removing it.. it still didnt work.. but after i copied the php_psql.dll into both windows and windows/system32 (prolly only needed to excist in windows/system32 but hey... i just copy pasting anyways ;P)

Thanks alot for the responds.

-Ed