Thread: database size

Unanswered: database size

Hi All,

How to calculate the total database size?

Thanks

Re: database size

This particular question has been answered many times on this forum so I will advise you to search the forum first.

dollar

Originally posted by jfkuser
    Hi All,

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks
    if u r using Unix / Linux system all u have to do is cd /home/db2inst1/db2inst1
    du -ks

this will give you th total size of the DB (including tablespace, log files , etc...)
    hany heggy,
    IBM certified Professional, AIX system support
    www.melodyhits.tv

Provided Answers: 1

Originally posted by hanyheggy
    if u r using Unix / Linux system all u have to do is cd /home/db2inst1/db2inst1
    du -ks

this will give you th total size of the DB (including tablespace, log files , etc...)
    ... unless your tablespace containers and NEWLOGPATH are located somewhere else...

Originally posted by n_i
    ... unless your tablespace containers and NEWLOGPATH are located somewhere else...

i agree 100%
    hany heggy,
    IBM certified Professional, AIX system support
    www.melodyhits.tv

Thanks for the insight. But I was looking for DB2 utility or command to monitor the database size on weekly basis.

What if you have to calculate it from remote client.
    Also if the database is too large it can have multiple filesystems and would be difficult to manually calculate the size periodically.

Thanks,
    j

You can write a script to parse 'list tablespaces show detail' command and calculate the tablespace sizes and usage ... (Expect a script at db2click.com in the near future)

If you would like to add the log directory to this list, use db cfg to grep for you logpath and check the size ...

Remember, for SMS the utilization is always 100%

HTH

Sathyaram

Thanks for the insight. But I was looking for DB2 utility or command to monitor the database size on weekly basis.

What if you have to calculate it from remote client.
    Also if the database is too large it can have multiple filesystems and would be difficult to manually calculate the size periodically.

Thanks,
    j
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by sathyaram_s

I'd say that for SMS tablespaces utilization should be measured from the OS point of view, e.g by parsing the output of "df -k <sms container path>"

Check db2click.com now ...

I have added three scripts, two of which will be useful to identify and record the size of the tablespaces from local or remote clients ...

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by sathyaram_s
    You can write a script to parse 'list tablespaces show detail' command and calculate the tablespace sizes and usage ... (Expect a script at db2click.com in the near future)

If you would like to add the log directory to this list, use db cfg to grep for you logpath and check the size ...

HTH

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.